We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

This is my first ever trip report but my holiday was so eventful I thought I must share it!

Please bear with me as I will attempt to write my report over the next few days.

Here's a bit of background on the trip:

Travellers:

Me - 30-something shopaholic who likes a bit of a flutter and good food. Been to Vegas approx 10 times.

M&D - my parents - in their 60's, M likes to shop D doesn't, D likes a flutter M only does if she wins. Been to Vegas approx 14 times.

Itinerary:

Booked in early Nov as a suprise for my parents. We have spent 4 Christmases in Vegas in the past but not for a few years. 2nd visit this year.

Booked flights with Maxjet (as we had flown with them in March and thought they were great) and two rooms at the South Point. Couldn't get flights into Vegas on the 19th so decided to fly into LAX and drive to Vegas (something I had done before).

Coming up...pre-trip stress, risking a fine on LA's freeways, changing hotel rooms, illness and MAXJET!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Am waiting with baited breath, mainly to read of your problems with Maxjet - I've been following posts on Moneysavingexpert from people stuck in Vegas as a result ...

You must be writing a good long TR!

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Yikes...this sounds like real drama...I'm hoping it wasn't too bad...will be looking for your post.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

OK, here goes with the 1st part of my TR...

Part 1 - Pre-Trip Stress

As I booked this holiday as a surprise for my parents they are really excited and M is not sure how on earth she is going to be ready with only 6 weeks notice!

We are all on a major countdown when I spot an article in the business section of the weekend papers about Maxjet suspending their shares as they try to re-finance the business. I dither a bit but decide not to tell M&D as it will only stress them out. However, I didn't bargain on my uncle reading the business section and delighting in ringing D and telling him the news! Then I get 2 days of Spanish Inquisition about how long I have known and why I didn't tell them.

So, I spend the next 10 days checking the Maxjet website every few hours (literally!) to check they are still in business. I get an e-mail from their CEO assuring me everything is fine but, as I have previously posted on this forum, I thought it sounded like a football club chairman expressing full confidence in his manager and then sacking him the next day!

Anyway, as our holiday nears, they are still in business and we start to feel more confident and able to look forward to it once again. D is planning every meal he wants to eat whilst there (he is obsessed with food and where his next meal is coming from) and is overjoyed that the South Point buffet breakfast is only $5.95 and that they do a Graveyard Special for only $1.95! M & I prefer quality over quantity so it's a constant battle with D as he tries to organise our meals days/weeks in advance (case in point - today (29/12) he is planning what we are going to eat on New Years Day!).

Day T-1

Negotiations begin into the departure time from home. M tells me that D has been hassling her for the last 2 weeks about this but she has banned him from asking me about it! As I know this will have been going on, I deliberately don't bring it up unto the day before we leave!

Like many ‘older’ people M&D would like to be at Stansted 4+ hours before departure (so they have time for something to eat and to go to the loo - I have asked frequently but they cannot explain why this takes so long!), but I am of the belief that the only reason airlines set such a ridiculously early minimum check in time is to make you spend money shopping in the airport, plus I am a smoker and now England has implemented the ridiculous smoking ban I won’t go through security until the last minute!

The flight left at 9.30am and it’s around 2 to 2.5 hours drive so I opened the bidding at 5.30am. This was rejected out of hand, so knowing that M is 30mins late for everything my final offer was 4.30am…and I got myself a deal!

Coming up...Part 2 - Travel Day including the hell hole that is LAX and a nightmare drive through LA.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

"Like many ‘older’ people M&D would like to be at Stansted 4+ hours before departure (so they have time for something to eat and to go to the loo"

"knowing that M is 30mins late for everything"

Are we related? First quote relates to my parents, second quote relates to mother-in-law ...

(Whoops. If either are reading this forum, I've probably just blown any chance of them paying for us to fly to the MEGA M&G ...)

nj
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

i'm totally enjoying your report....can't wait to read the rest!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Thanks for the comments.

Nevada2007 - Have just posted some info on moneysavingexpert.com Maxjet thread as it appears there are some others stuck in Vegas having had no help from Maxjet. Also, most of my friends parents are the same. I think it's obligatory when you get your bus pass!

Off to get my nails done now, but will post some more later hopefully!

virginia
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

can't wait for the rest

I agree traveling by plane now takes forever, not counting the flight, it is getting to the airport so early. I hate sitting at the gate waiting for the flight to board for about an hour.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

So far round 1 very good.

Arizona
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Wait a minute..Nails before the TR??

Dad plans meals in advance and you leave us hanging for your nails to look good for the New Year. :)

Hurry back this is sounding like a very good read.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - Dec 19-26 - The Maxjet Holiday From Hell!

Good start! I am looking forward to the rest of the TR. I am one of those people who gets to the airport very early- always have and always will!! I am a "what if" person-what if there is traffic, what if we are in an accident, what if..what if...and I don't consider myself to be that old!

Just the word Maxjet tells me this is going to be interesting...and not in the good sense of the word!