We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

Hi- We are renting a car in Vegas Friday morning, Jan. 25th at 10:00, driving directly to Bryce (figure about 4 hours) spending the afternoon there. Sleeping one night & then driving to Zion the next morning for the day. Leaving around 3m, back to Vegas Saturday night around 7pm for dinner and show.

I KNOW it's crazy, but we hope to be able to do this. We only have the weekend and are trying to make the most of it.

Can anyone offer advice for this trip?

parhump
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

What happens if you are snowed in or stuck on the highway.

tampa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

You better figure more like 5-6 hours to Bryce. Zion can be reached in under 3. I was just at both parks last week. Unless you get out and hike Bryce it wasn't nearly as impressive as Zion from the road. Bryce, at higher elevation, was also about 15-20 degrees colder than Zion and had much more snow. At Bryce you probably will be hiking through snow covered trails. As for accomodations there is much more to choose from in Springdale right outside Zion. Except for Ruby's, everything appeared closed for the winter at Bryce. Springdale is beautiful and right at the entrance to Zion. Without more time and warmer weather I would stay there and forego Bryce for another day.

I'm sure hiking Bryce is fabulous when it warms up a bit but I was disappointed going there last week. I was very moved by Zion and wished I had just stayed put on the second day rather than making the 2 hour drive to Bryce. From the roadside lookouts it just doesn't compare with Zion IMO.

Also, when I drove back from Zion in the dark early hours there was construction at the gorge between Arizona Nevada and or Utah. Although it was dark and I couldn't see much this area looked pretty nice but the construction may cause much more of a backup during the day. Others may know better if this could affect your travel times.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

Thank you SO much for the thorough (& Sensible) answer. That's what I think we'll do. Bryce will have to wait until another time. I appreciate your help. Not sure how much hiking we'll do (I love it, but my traveling companions may whine)!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

It sounds like a do-able itinerary. They are both awesome places. But I tend to favor Bryce. Although smaller, the rock formations are so unique. There are a few relatively short trails that bring you below the rim of the Canyon, which gives a whole new perspective on the place. And going in January, you might have the experience of seeing the rocks formations dusted in snow. I wish I could go with you. You will however, probably be exhausted by the time you sit down for your show.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
557 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

I agree with Malapraxis. I enjoyed Zion more so than Bryce and wished we had had more time there. You are on such a short schedule so I'd pick just one. From the road you just don't catch what zion is about and I doubt you want to hiking in the snow. Have fun

6. Re: Driving from Vegas to Bryce/Zion in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 17:16