We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harley Davidson Hire

Manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Harley Davidson Hire

Has anyone hired a Harley for the Day to go to the Grand Canyon ?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

I could understand the allure of renting a Harley, but to ride from Vegas to the Grand Canyon and back in a day?!

Stay overnight at GC if you're thinking of doing this.

Manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

I hear it is about a 6 hour slog - so that may be the best option - thanks

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

Far too long a ride to enjoy in one day. If you want to make it a day trip, drive a boring car unless you are the iron butt type. I've made the same ride myself and advise you that the temperature differences between the desert and the canyon rim can be great, so be sure to have appropriate clothing. Also consider keeping your riding time to daylight hours since there are all kinds of creatures that like to cross the road at night.

Which model are you considering? Do you have a H-D at home?

binghamton
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

no ...but their restaurant has great burghers though...LOL

Orlando
Level Contributor
463 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

Hubby and I thought of this but the timing of our GC part of the trip it just wasn't wise..

If you belong to H.O.G. I believe you can get a discount on the rental...not much but some.

Manchester
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

Looking into the Electra Glide or similar - a nice comfort ride this time, or a Fatboy but have riden those before. Unfortunately I don't have a HD at home but have a couple of sporty ones, new Triumph 675 Daytona is a special one of mine.

parhump
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

PLEASE,,, PLEASE,,,PLEASE>> Put my name on the insurance policy.

Plan a trip to Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon.

U will not be disappointed.

Dont Forget >> drive on the right side of the road.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

We rented one on our last trip (May '07). Didn't go to grand canyon but put on about 300 miles. Cost was approximately 150 dollars for the day and you could choose from the entire model line.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

We intend on hiring Harleys for a trip to the Canyon in November. Going to stay at the El Tovar o/nite on the edge of the Canyon. Have a Road King at home, so I would hire the same. We'll take '66 instead of the main road for a while. Been told it's a good ride by another trip' member. He put it well. Two Road Kings on the Mother Road.I think he wanted to come too.

If you have a HOG card, you can usually get a 5-10% discount in most dealers. We did the Hana Highway on Maui and the dealer gave 10% - even asked us if we were HOG members (we forgot to ask for a discount)- top bloke. The different experience between a car and a Harley on Maui was mindblowing and I look forward to a similar experience riding to the Canyon. We intend to store our luggage overnight in Vegas and travel light.

Look into the feasability of the overnight stay near the Canyon, as you won't be pushing hard to keep a stressful timetable. Remember - it's a holiday!

10. Re: Harley Davidson Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 02:18