We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

children in vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Temiscaming, Quebec
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Topic
children in vegas

i was one of those kids that was "dragged" to las vegas a couple of times a year. I LOVED going to vegas, i was more excited to go there then to Disney in california. we would drive from BC (with a group, which had other kids that ranged from 4ish to 8ish) we would either go to LV, reno, or lake tahoe for a couple of days then drive to california and mexico. we usually did this a couple times a year. some trips we had the huge trailer to stay in at the campground at MGM (reno) or we would stay in the hotels. I enjoyed going to shows, i wasn't one of the kids that got left in the lobby as the parents gambled. everybody in the group took turns babysitting the kids so the adults could gamble at night. during the day, they did kids stuff. now that iam a mom, would i bring my kids to LV, YES, but i wouldn't be there to gamble unless we were there in a group to have a babysitter. when you go has a family, you are not there to gamble. you are there to sightsee, and shop. there is nothing wrong with bringing the kiddies, as long as you use your senses.

i wrote this post after seeing such negative comments from some people. this is from someone that has personal experience about being a kid in vegas. now that was 20 to 25 years ago, lol. but i have great memories

michelle

YWG/41 miles north...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: children in vegas

You must still be in shock from your childhood nightmare that was Vegas.

At least you survived to tell the tale.

LOLZ

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: children in vegas

good for you - you know what works for you and your family.

As in everything we all makes choices. There is no right or wrong, just different.

I don't think children belong in LV - no way can they avoid seeing all the undesirable things I don't want them to see. When we are in the area in the summer we have a houseboat - the children under 21 never see LV, have a blast, the family is together, we like it that way.

as parents we all do this best we can and make the decisions that are best for our families, you know what is best for yours.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: children in vegas

Here we go again. Popcorn time!

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: children in vegas

Correction - kids over 18 go to dinner and shows with us. There in college, can see drunks behaving poorly and suggestive signs.

They like Delmonico and Alex.

My 19 yo old grandchild reminds me they can and do gamble in Europe.

Land Of Make Believe
Level Contributor
542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: children in vegas

Some people just like to complain. All the things people say your kids should not see in Vegas are in every average major city. You don't have to go all the way to Vegas these days to see gambling, drinking, and half naked women walking around. If you don't want to bring your kids to Vegas I respect your decision, but I don't think you should put down others for it either. I go to Vegas and have a good time. I pay no attention to any children around me. Kids have never ruined one second of ANY trip.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: children in vegas

gettingmarriedindr... I grew up the same as you did! Oh man the drive from BC down there was painful! But making it to Disneyland was always worth it!!

And bridgefan, you say you have grandchildren, I am shocked at what you post at your age, grow up and get another hobby other then making ignorant posts on a travel forum all day

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: children in vegas

Trolls. Food. Don't.

New York
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: children in vegas

I think bridge_fan1 puts her teeth in too tight.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: children in vegas

I think it is important for kids to understand the world as it is, and that includes drunks, nudity (we're all naked under our clothes, helloooo), adult-relations (wouldn't let me post my first word choice), money etc. Yes, there is an age when a FULL comprehension of it all is appropriate, but I would rather my son know about reality than be in denial of it. This is a free country (kind of, as long as your not gay wanting to get married, or ingest chemicals that are not approved by the FDA) and if parents want to breach these topics whith their children at an early age, well more power to them. Let's just hope parent DO talk about these subjects with their kids, so that they may be prepaired for the real world.

That being said, I won't be going to LV with my son there until he is 21. It would cut into my fun!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: children in vegas

I beg to differ, Im not trying to start anything (im no bridgefan haha) but I am going to Vegas in May and its the first time I have been since Ive been legal, aside from that last time I went was 6 years ago when I was 17, and before that I was 13, and 10, and there was a TON to do, that didnt involve drunks and nudity, etc. I don't even remember any of that, it was decent, and family friendly, nearly every hotel has something for the family to do, like shopping, rides, attractions (shark tanks, dolphins, lions, tigers [bears? no.. not that i know of haha]) Spent a lot of time at the pools, waterslides, arcades (excalibur playing games for tickets for prizes!!) m&m and coca cola shop, and much more.