We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

montreal, canada
Level Contributor
317 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

hi,

I was recently in Las Vegas and stayed at a 5 star hotel with my girlfriend (I will reveal the name of hotel after feedback). They missed our wake-up call. I would appreciate feedback as I feel somehow ripped off about this experience and contemplate taking this issue further. here are the details of the story...

-It was my 5th and last night

- we had spent a long day at a fashion tradeshow at the convention centre, and my girlfriend and I decided to take a nap so we could enjoy our last evening in vegas feeling rested.

-We had made reservations earlier in the week to eat dinner at a restaurant with great reviews on tripadvisor. reservations were at 815

-at 4pm on friday evening, we call wake-up desk and request a wake up at 715

-both my girlfriend and I completely passed-out in matter of seconds

-we wake up, on our own, without a wake-up call...

-it was 845 PM (hence, we missed our reservations)

-I call front desk, and explain situation

-They apologize and request i speak to a manager, that I will get call me back very shortly

- I was very calm and not about to make a "stink"

- The manager calls back, apologizes and states he will call me back asap

-he re-reserves our dinner for 930pm, i request taxi voucher, he promises limo pick-up

-we head down to valet desk as instructed, no limo.

-valet calls manager, still nothing..

-40 minutes later, still no limo.

-it's 10pm

What would you expect given my situation at this point?

there more details regarding the aftermath of this situation, will provide in reply... please keep in mind, this is a reputable 5 star hotel, and this is our 5TH NIGHT!

thanks in advance

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

"ps: there are more than ONE 5 star hotel in Las vegas, to suggest otherwise implies misleading marketing practices."

Gee, ya think?

The industry standard for rating hotels on the "star" level is really the Mobil guide. Not (God forbid) Priceline*, or Expedia, or the hotel itself.

So if you say you were staying in a " 5 star hotel" it would only be the Wynn Tower Suites.

Unless you're the victim of the misleading marketing practices that you reference above.

(*For example, Priceline uses both Venetian and Bellagio as "5 star" properties. They're not)

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

you are a big boy

set your alarm

did you specify am or pm

stop whining............. it was dinner

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

Unless you tell me you definitely said "7:15 PM", I would think they thought you wanted the wake up call for 7:15 am the following morning (say to catch a flight) and you were just leaving it early in case you got drunk or distracted later in the night and forgot to call for it then.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

generally wakeup calls are reliable, but if there's a human involved (not automated) then there's always a chance of human error, in a 1-star or a 5-star.

i have had wakeup calls missed once or twice, but i always set a backup if it's for something important like a flight or a reservation.

i think the offer the manager made if a limo pickup are rebooking your dinner was an acceptable resolution to the problem.

however, the limo not panning out does kind of negate that. of course, i wouldn't have waited 40 minutes, i would have taken a cab after waiting 15, and got a receipt to bring back to the desk after dinner.

at this point, you could write a letter to the hotel and they will likely give you a written apology and perhaps an offer for the future...

but given the fact that you only missed a dinner reservation, not a flight or a show that had tickets (ie. something that made you lose money because of their mistake) i would really not expect much.

in fact, i don't really think this situation warrants much of a makeup by the hotel. if you received an appology that felt sincere, then i would be happy with that.

montreal, canada
Level Contributor
317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

I am not wining at all, I am trying to learn from this lesson - which is, what to expect and what not to expect, from 5 star hotels.

the hotel in question in question refers to themselves as 5 star. Belagio, venetian etc.. refer to themselves as 5 star.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

"I am not wining at all, I am trying to learn from this lesson - which is, what to expect and what not to expect, from 5 star hotels."

Well, apparently you've already learned...they can make mistakes, just like any hotel anywhere!

"the hotel in question in question refers to themselves as 5 star. Belagio, venetian etc.. refer to themselves as 5 star. "

No, they do not. Bellagio touts their AAA Five Diamond rating on their website, that is not the same as a Mobil 5-star rating.

There are 5 properties with a AAA 5 Diamond rating in the LV area:

Bellagio

Ritz-Carlton

Four Seasons

Skylofts MGM

Wynn

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

You should expect any hotel that has a wake-up service to actually call you when you requested. It has absolutely nothing to do with being 1 star or 5. But "stuff" happens. Deal with it.

You question really seems to be "what should I expect a 5-star hotel to do when they make a mistake." Personally, for something like this, the only thing I'd expect is that they provide such a wonderful experience that you are in a good mood and don't care about dinner. Given your attitude, I'm not sure that would have been possible. Short of a sacrificing a virgin in your honor, it sounds like nothing could have made it square with you for the sin of the missed call.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

So I guess your lesson is to not expect too much from a 5-star hotel. Things like this can happen at a 1-star or 5-star. I'm not sure if you're expecting anything more. If I were that irritated about it, I would write a letter to this 5-star hotel. Make sure you throw some culpable names into the letter.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

I still would like to know if you SPECIFICALLY said P.M.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 5 Star hotel misses wake-up call... what would you do?

the hotel in question in question refers to themselves as 5 star. Belagio, venetian etc.. refer to themselves as 5 star.

Only Wynn can do that. The others can call themselves 5 Diamond or may be called 5 star by sites like this but Wynn is the only one that has earned Mobil 5 star and only for certain parts of the hotel.