We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

My European parents are visiting US for their first time so I thought I should take them out of NY to a short trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon. None of us has been there before (neither me, nor my wife). Unfortunately is very late to book a place at the canyon lodges for march, when I have vacation. So I thought we should stay in Vegas and make a day trip to the canyon.

I tried to contact the highly praised Darryl at grand-adventures.com, but no answer yet. Still waiting for a reply, but from their website it looks like they are booked for 22/23/24 march. In case they really are, any suggestion for an alternative?

Of note, both my parents are seniors : 75/66

The Maverick helicopter tour is too expensive for us at >400/person. Something in the 100-200 range would be more like our pocket.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

~Bumping~ in hopes that someone can help this person out. :)

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

porkister,

We drove from Las Vegas to Williams, AZ in May. We booked a package with the Grand Canyon Railway. We stayed at the hotel overnight and departed on a train for the canyon the next morning. After a few hours at the canyon, the train returned us to the hotel and we got in our car and drove back to vegas. We got back to our hotel on the strip about 9:00 pm.

We paid about $150 a person and that included the room, the train ride, and breakfast & dinner. In all honesty, the hotel and rooms are just ok. Nothing special. The food is just ok as well. The train ride was nice and relaxing. They have different classes. We paid extra to upgrade for some A/C. But, you may not need an A/C car in March.

Fyi- there are a bunch of steps you need to climb to get to the rim from the train depot at the canyon. you do not need to climb them though- you can wait at the depot and get on a tour bus to the rim.

It took us about 4 hours to drive each way. You do have to cross Hoover Dam at the NV/AZ border. Sometimes there is a traffic backup and the roads to the dam do wind along the edge of Black canyon so take it slow.

If you need anymore info, let me know.

Have fun,

Chris

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

We also did the Grand Canyon Railway, in March of 2006. Just be forewarned, we were met with a blinding snowstorm and about 12 inches of snow once we hit Arizona. We had checked the weather the day before we left, and the forecast had been for "scattered flurries"

Some people were arriving at the hotel in shorts, as they were expecting to be in the "desert". We drove to Sedona on the way back to Las Vegas. A bit of a hike, but well worth the visit. It was breathtaking, and 70 degrees!

4. Re: Day trip to GC from LV with senior parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:21