We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Hello Everyone!!

We are flying with Southwest, I have never floan before, and I have to admit, I am some what scared. Where would be the best place for my husband and I to sit?

TIA!

Las Vegas Club Crawl
15 Reviews
from US$39.99*
Special Offer
Las Vegas Night Tour of the Strip by...
142 Reviews
from US$39.99*
US$43.04
Las Vegas Strip Ultra Limousine Tour
24 Reviews
from US$199.99*
Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

I try for as far forward as possible, but that's just me.

The only area I would suggest trying to avoid is the last row in any plane. Not only are you right next to the toilets, but it seems like you can feel motion of the plane (as it changes elevation) even more than if you were closer to the front. Makes me feel almost sea sick when I never get sea sick on actual boats.

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
761 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Since the earliest days of commercial airline travel, passengers have debated amongst themselves over the best seats on an airplane. Some argue the best seats on an airplane, excluding the mythological first class section, are found on the reinforced bulkhead section over the wings. Others say the best seats on an airplane are those closest to emergency exits or even restroom facilities. Some say the aisle seats provide easier access to exit doors and overhead compartments, while window seats provide a better view and only one competitor for the armrest.

Many travel safety experts suggest the best seats on an airplane are indeed those in the central bulkhead section near the emergency exits. Unlike other passenger rows, these sections are often compartmentalized into single seats. The bulkhead section of an airplane's fuselage is also heavily reinforced, which can improve a passenger's chances of surviving a crash significantly. A number of airlines have been known to offer a better fare price for those willing to sit in the bulkhead section. In exchange for having one of the best seats on an airplane, passengers in the bulkhead section must often agree to assist flight attendants with emergency door removal.

Some regular fliers may argue that the best seats on an airplane are closest to the restroom facilities. There may be a number of compelling reasons for a passenger to seek out the airplane's restroom, but timing and logistics can mean everything. It can be difficult to negotiate the narrow seating area, especially when other row mates are asleep or uncooperative. Even in the main aisle, reaching the rear of the plane can be problematic during a meal or beverage service. For those who may need unfettered access to the facilities, the best seats on an airplane may be in the rear.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

You can't pick a seat number with Southwest, but the order for boarding on their planes is based on when you print your boarding passes...so be ready to print 24 hours prior to your flight so you get in Group A (if possible)

Then we try to get the Exit row since Mr. Ducky is very tall (so over the wing). I like to be in front of the wing...less noise.

Try to sit on the right side of the plane (right facing forward) since you will have THE best strip view when you land in Vegas! enjoy

Mentioned in this post
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Make sure you understand the SW boarding procedure - checking in 24-hours in advance, etc.

If flying during the day, as someone said, pick seats on the right side of the plane (if facing the front of the plane) for views of the Strip and probably the Grand Canyon on the way in.

You pick your own seats on SW. I like to avoid people who look like they might be noisy (children, school groups, drunken idiots, etc.) and ideally sit next to small people.

Mentioned in this post
The Strip
The Strip
27,376 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,838 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

"A number of airlines have been known to offer a better fare price for those willing to sit in the bulkhead section. In exchange for having one of the best seats on an airplane, passengers in the bulkhead section must often agree to assist flight attendants with emergency door removal."

Huh?? Which airlines offer a cheaper seat to sit in a bulkhead row? If anything, some are charging more to sit in an exit row (Virgin, for one example)

I've never heard of an airline charging a lower price for sitting in one section of the airplane versus another!

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
761 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

don't know ... i just found that online and copied/pasted, was just trying to help answer minmurphy's question

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
761 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

" Make sure you understand the SW boarding procedure - checking in 24-hours in advance, etc. "

What is the procedure besides online check-in 24hrs in advance ?

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
761 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Ok Southwest boarding procedures ...

southwest.com/help/…cheat_sheet.html

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

Td...it is the "early bird gets the worm" with SWA. The first ones that check-in online get the first boarding numbers...so get on the plane first.

Even though there aren't assigned seats, the passengers board by groups and can get first choice where they want to be on the plane.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Vegas with Southwest

DH has flown a plane and says the best ride is over the wings.