We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cant believe the poor reviews

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
114 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
cant believe the poor reviews

I keep seeing, for supposedly the top restaurants in vegas. Why would i risk spending 300-400 bucks when 50 percent of the reviews are poor. Emerill's, Flay's, Puck's, etc etc I sthere no place I can have a nice dinner with the wife for 100 bucks and not go wrong.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

Steaks at the Range in Harrahs.

See harrahs.com for the menu.

But, don't believe the reviews, the people most likely to post are nitpicking primadonnas, and self absorbed twits who feel imprtant when they complain

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

Antonios and Buzios in Rio would also get the job done, menus also on harrahs.com

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,569 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

Why would you risk NOT having a great meal over the opinions of strangers?

For me, restaurant reviews need to be "personal", for lack of a better term.

I need to know the person making the recommendation, or NOT making the recommendation, as the case may be.

I need to know where they usually dine, what they usually like, and even what they normally feel comfortable spending.

Without that context, for ME, I have absolutely no faith in anyone's opinion when they say a place was "fabulous" or "it was horrible".

Look at the rankings for Tripadvisor on Las Vegas restaurants. Case in point being Grand Lux Cafe at #4 and Mon Ami Gabi being #5. I rest my case. And a pancake house is # 8? Please.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

keep in mind that people are generally much more likely to post when they have a bad experience than a good one...

I loved Emerils. One of the best meals of my life. Blew away Rosemary's and Sensi at the Bellagio. Because we had such an amazing meal there, my husband took my son there for dinner on his 21st birthday. He said it wasn't nearly as good that time, go figure.

My neighbor goes to Emerils every time he goes to Vegas, and swears he's never had a bad meal there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,569 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

"My neighbor goes to Emerils every time he goes to Vegas, and swears he's never had a bad meal there."

LOL - I rest my case.

USA
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

I completely agree with Irish.

There is no way I would take a recommendation for a restaurant from a stranger with anything more than a grain of salt and sometimes even friends have some strange opinions. IMO

Case in point. I have a friend who lives in Richmond Va. and at one time was a line cook in a fine restaurant there. A few weeks back, we met him and his wife for dinner in town at his favorite Mexican restaurant that he'd been raving about for years. Nice little joint indeed, but the food was so Americanized, it bordered on being a well dressed Taco Bell. Now I'm not Mexican or even latino, but I did live in Phoenix for awhile and IMO, this was some of the least authentic food I've eaten.

The problem I have with Las Vegas restaurants is the amount of people served including those that are living the "good" life on a blue collar budget. Most fine restaurants don't turn anywhere near the number of tables similar places do in other cities so the food and service suffer. And those who usually eat at Applebee's then have "5 star" experience in Vegas are bound to think that is the best they've had.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

Alot of folks include their restaurant reviews in their hotel reviews or trip reports. The reviews are a poor cross section to judge from. Also, the rankings in the restaurant section appear to be weighted by ratings from external sources so the actual ranking may not reflect the scores you see on reviews. So it's a good thing you asked here! I would also check chowhound and Zagat, too.

My suggestion would be Mon Ami Gabi: good food, service and ambiance. I also like Antonios at Rio and Penazzi's at Harrah's. Penazzi's may be a little out of your range if you do a full three course meal with alcohol, though.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

No, you need to read the reviews, then post your own review.

I noticed that so many folks raved about Wynn's buffet. I went there last week, got a comped lunch buffet and am I GLAD it was comped! There was NOTHING in the buffet that impressed me or tasted great.

On the other hand, I have not read many raves about Flamingo's Paradise Buffet which was fantabulous! Wide variety of food and very creative!!

So, do as I do, see for yourself and post your own review.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

I agree with IrishFan. My own friends and relatives-those who know my taste in food- sometimes recommend a restaurant that is unacceptable to me! There is no way someone can tell you if you are going to like a restuarant or not. People have different opinions as to what makes a restaurant great. And it doesn't mean they are nit-pickers. They may sincerely be unhappy with a restaurant- for many reasons. MAG is a popular restaurant on this forum. I tried it twice and would not go back. So what does that tell you?-nothing! Are the other posters correct or am I correct? There is no right or wrong answer to that. You gamble every time you pick a restaurant. Even one you like may have an off night. Just pick something that looks good to you- and go!

dayton, ohio
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cant believe the poor reviews

So true Irish.

I try and go for value instead of paying through the nose for a meal. Paying $300 for dinner is ok if you can afford it, since I can't, I don't.

That being said, we all have a certain expectation of what a gourmet meal should taste like. Everyday people eating at a high class resturant would tend to give a better rating because they don't normally eat there.

Foodies on the other hand, tend to be real nitpicky about their meals, because they DO go to trendy places alot.

One thing to remember about ratings is that they are VERY subjective to the whims of the poster. One mans dump is another mans castle.