We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not disturb on the door!!!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Do not disturb on the door!!!

We always leave our sign on the door, that way you don't have to worry about someone in you room!! It seems better than worrying about leaving the maid a tip, or someone "cleaning " your room!!!!!

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,622 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

Words fail me.........

Farnborough, Hants...
Level Contributor
684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

Um, what?

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

Why do you say that, Blagger? Because you think it's silly? I also do not want the maid to clean my room if I am only there for a few days! Plus I sleep during the day! On my recent trip I also had to unplug the phone so they wouldn't call me to ask if I wanted the room cleaned!

If I need towels or anything I call or catch a maid in the hall! I do not change my bed at home everyday...why have it done and waste linens on vacation?

Farnborough, Hants...
Level Contributor
684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

It would appear though that this is just to save money. A couple of times when I've been too hungover to leave the room I've left it on the door, but that's the only reason I'd ever do it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

To each their own I guess.

Personally, I take advantage of as much of the services as I can- maid service, turn down, any extras I need. I guess to me, it's part of the vacation experience, to always come back to a perfectly appointed room.

I can see if you're a daytime sleeper, or don't want any of the services, but I can say that's not the way I do Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

It's not a matter of wasting linens it about having your bed made/straightened up. I like to sleep on a bed that is nice and neat and yes I know it will only get messed up when we are sleeping, but to start with I enjoy getting into a nice, neat bed.

I also like to have my bathroom cleaned up daily, but that is just me. I enjoy having a clean room.

JMO

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

I must admit my husband and I are guilty of that. My clothes got rearranged(in my suitcase, no need for her to have opened it) on our honeymoon by the maid that cleaned our room. We are very neat and clean people so I feel no need for this anyway. Some people enjoy it and risk having strangers snoop through their stuff. I am just not so trusting anymore of any maid. Clean it when I leave. We leave a tip on the nightstand the morning of check-out.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

malvlover, getting my bed made is pretty much an essential part of a vacation as far as I'm concerned. Not changing a bed daily at home is fine, but I go on vacation to escape being at home. If I happen to be asleep during the day then of course I'd have had the sense to put out the sign myself.

I don't think any of this is silly, and anything to be more environmentally friendly is admirable, but the OP seems more concerned with avoiding tipping, and even more strangely, with "someone "cleaning" your room!!!!!" whatever that may mean.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

I have add a P.S. we will leave the DO NOT DISTURB sign on our door while we are sleeping and then until we have showered and are dressed. After that we take it off so that our room can be cleaned.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not disturb on the door!!!

We have the "do not disturb" sign on our door whenever we are in the room, but remove it when we leave. I, too, want my bed made, my room straightened and my bathroom cleaned with new towels each day. I hope wardog is leaving an extra big tip on his last day. It is a lot harder to clean up 5 days accumulated dirt than to clean it daily.

Camille