We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline 3-1-1 policies

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
airline 3-1-1 policies

Even after reading the airline websites I am still a bit confused and want to make sure others are understanding the policy as I am.

on carry on bags if you are carryging any type of liquids - shampoos - hairspray etc you must ahve it in 3 oz containers in a quart size clear zip lock? however in your suitcase you can have any size container and not in clear plastic bags?

Also on my carry on I will have a book- my purse with money id and credit card phone and I will also have camera- I will alsso have makeup in my purse... do I have to put my make up in a clear quart size bag as well? Lipstick - mascara powder eyeliner etc?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions on what you will be doing.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

No restrictions on liquids in checked luggage. Pack them any way you please.

Lipsticks etc are classed as liquids.

Rather than reading airlines' websites, the TSA site is the only place to get truly accurate information.

http://www.tsa.gov/

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

Suitcase as long as it is checked you can have anysize and it doesnt have to be in clear bags.

My wife has had to take her lip gloss and move it to her clear bag before when told to do so by TSA so now she always has it in the clear bag when we/she travels.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

So basically to be safe just toss my make up that I i have in my purse into a clear plastic quart size bag and no problems. Do I need to point it out and take the bag out?

thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,020 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

You're correct. I don't put my make-up in the quart bag, I just leave it in my makeup bag in my carryon. I travel a lot and have never had a problem.

I'd recommend that you put your shampoo and stuff that it is in your checked luggage in big ziplock bags too. Just in case something leaks, it won't ruin your clothes.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

You are correct on the 3oz containers for carry on. You may check whatever size bottles you want, but I would still ziploc these, as I have had them leak in my luggage. I use gallon size freezer bags for the checked luggage. Works great. I also put my clothes in an extra large ziploc type plastic bags. I have had my luggage rained on, though not likely in Las Vegas, and the color from my luggage stained my clothes. Some other liquid could leak on and through to your clothing from another bag.

As far as the carry on makeup, if it is liquid, it will need to be in your quart size bag. This would include liquid foundation, lipstick, chapstick, mascara, lotions, gels, liquid eyeliner, not pencil. Your powders do not need to be in the baggie.

You are only allowed 1 quart sized bag, so every liquid you wish to carry on must fit in that 1 quart sized bag, and be in containers of 3 oz. or less.

HTH! Lzy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

I don't thnk make up can be left in your purse- though I will admit I once forgot to take out my plastic bag and place it separately as you are supposed to and it did go through. Some TSa checkers are more dilligent than others- so to be absolutely sure you don't have problems ( which might result in your carry on be ing hand searched which is time consuming, your purse items that meet the liquids definition of TSA( including lipstick and lip balm) should be removed from your purse and in that bag. Also, none of those items can be larger than 3 oz size- onelady wa supset that her custom blended foundation was confiscated because it was too large- so better safe than sorry.

I do have to admit that on a recent tirp I saw aneophyte traveller place three gigantic gallon sized plastic bags of cosmetics on the conveyor and instead of confiscating them , the TSA inspector showed her the right sized bag, explained that in the future she could only use one like that, looked through what she had brought and let them all be carried on. I was surprised he was so lenient. So , it depends on who you get and the mood they are in I think. To be safe all should be in that one clear bag. On another recent trip a guy in frnt of me went through an in depth hand search because he had bottled water in his suitcase.

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

Beware of metal tipped pens also! I had my purse searched because I had a nice pen with a metal tip that looked like something "sharp"!

I stopped carrying ANY make up in my purse because they told me even the compact-type foundation had to be in a bag!

And I bought those XXL ziplocks and pack my clothes in them now, separate from from toiletries! At least I feel more secure that if my suitcase is opened, things won't fall out!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

You are correct about the zip lock bag-you take it out and put it in the same bin as your shoes,jacket,etc. You must put any liquid makeup in that bag,of course,it must be less than 3 ounces. You can carry any size in your checked luggage of liquids and gels.They may or may not look through your carry on but I do the same thing;I out my purse in the carry on as there have been a number of thefts in New York airports when you put the purse through separately. I also carry an empty water bottle and put that in the bin;I show the screener it is empty.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
807 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

I simply put everything in my luggage, make-up,perfume etc...It`s the only way I knew for sure.

1,519 Miles from...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: airline 3-1-1 policies

The TSA is also notorious for being completely inconsistent from one airport to another. At Chicago-O'Hare, they have never chastised people for not having the quart ziploc out and in a bin; at Vegas they are much more strict on this. Also, some airports don't permit "generic" 3 oz. bottles, only original packaging. At other airports, it doesn't seem to matter. And somehow all this is supposed to make me feel safer. It doesn't, actually, as a determined group of terrorists can and will find a way to do what they want. All this TSA stuff is designed to do is prevent an exact duplicate of the 9/11 attacks. They're smarter than that. When the first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center failed, they moved on to Plan B. Just my 2c!