We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champion Air Ending May 31st

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Champion Air Ending May 31st

A Minneapolis news station announced last night that Champion Air will quit flying on May 31st. I've booked package deals with them thru Worry Free Vacations, and always got a great price. When I looked at Worry Free's website this morning, they are not booking anything from June on. I hope they will find another carrier to take over, but I'm afraid the prices are just going to continue to go up.

MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

True enough. Champion will continue to fly private charters, but no longer vacation destinations. They lost the Twins contract & just recently lost the NBA contract - that is what really kept them flying.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

Is this from Minneapolis only or is Champion going out of the vacation business nation-wide?

1,519 Miles from...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

No, Champion is completely shutting down and liquidating. There will be no more flying, period. Their 35 year-old 727s are just too inefficient to fly (read: gas-guzzlers) and also require a three-person flight crew. The talk on the airline forum I frequent is that Northwest is going to take over the flying that Champ now does for Worry Free & MLT. They already have the NBA contract effective with the 08-09 season. Not all NBA teams use Champion-only about 10. The rest have their own plane or use another airline.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

Very good to know - Thanks!

MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

I was just going to post what Strip Cruiser said. MLT is owned by NW anyway, so they will be doing the flying for Worryfree.

New Richmond...
Level Contributor
544 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

Unfortunately for us in MN and DTW, NWA has license to raise their Vegas fares now if a new charter carrier does not emerge.

I flew Champion once though and the sucked....cramped 3 banger 727s - almost as bad as the old DC9s NWA still flies.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

I, too, am concerned about how this will affect our air fares to Vegas. Have seen a dramatic increase in recent months already.

NW carries to other vacation destinations for Worry Free, seems logical they'd pick up Vegas as well.

Tulsa
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

OMG!!!!!!!!! This news makes ME SICK! This is the ONLY way I fly from Tulsa to Vegas - cause for $99 round trip per person they can't be beat! Thank GOD I got in for my trip a week from Thursday. That tells me unless Worry Free Vacations comes up with another carrier, my Vegas days are probably over for a while. :-( Very sad to hear ... especially after I have been saying Rabbit Rabbit the entire day! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Oklahoma City
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

I have a certificate I won on the radio from Worry Free Vacations from Oklahoma City to Las Vegas for air+hotel. It has to be used by Sept 30, 2008. I wonder if Worry Free will still honor this? Maybe just teh hotel portion? The certificate is written by Worry Free, NOT Champion Air. Yet, without an air carrier there is only so much they can provide. Anyone know? I'm so disappointed. This was supposed to be a second honeymoon for my husband and I. Boo-hoo!

MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Champion Air Ending May 31st

Tracy - no worries this is just Champion who is shutting down not MLT. They already use NW as a carrier and they will most likely contract with another smaller airline. It will still be valid.