We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question regarding Id to take to Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
question regarding Id to take to Vegas

I was wondering what others do when traveling now a days. I ususally have just taken my drivers license. I know that it is not neccesary for me to take my passport to Las Vegas however is it a good idea to take it just in case I need another form of id?

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

I only take my drivers license and have never needed anything else.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

Your driver's license should work fine. The only way I'd take the passport was if you wanted to be protected in case your license was lost or stolen.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

No need for a passport. Presumably you will have a credit card or debit card with your name on it, that should suffice if a backup were needed.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

I don't see any reason that you'll need another form of ID. Do you carry a credit card?

I take my normal wallet to Vegas. When I'm heading out for the day and switch to my smaller purse, I grab my driver's license and credit card.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

I only bring my driver's license. I do have a credit card with my picture on it and that seems to help- I am not asked for ID when I use it. I do bring an extra credit card. If you are worried about getting on a plane if you lose your driver's license-they will allow you to board without ID . Some require you to file a police report and then you have to go through extra security. A friend just returned from FL where she lost her wallet- with all ID in it. She didn't file a police report but they still let her on the plane with extra measures (she was patted down, wanded and her suitcase was opened, hand inspected and tested for chemicals.

parhump
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

Drivers license

medical insurance ID

Medicare card

Credit card

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

Just a tip!! Go to any Illinois DMV and get a backup ID. An Illinois State ID. Same as a driver license but a government ID. It should only cost $10 or less?? IF something happens to your original Illinois drivers license.(Lose it at the pool, leave it at the bar etc.) you have a back up ID. It's ok to have both. It's a legal government ID. If you already have an Illinois license, get a back up STATE ID. It has happened to us. It's only $10 bucks?? at the DMV. If you do have a problem, the back up ID will help. You must be concerned or you wouldn't have asked. It is easier than a passport. Your from Chicago, why carry and take a chance on losing a passport. that's more of a risk than a stupid $10 Illinois ID.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

No, you do not need a passport.

9. Re: question regarding Id to take to Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 15:18