We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Got 5 nights in Las Vegas. Budget is $150pn but realistically would like cheaper as San Diego hotel is costing a bomb.

Stayed at the MGM last year and loved it. Our best experience in Vegas by a country mile in 4 visits. MGM standard tower room coming out at $159 a night for 5 nights, Tuesday onwards (includes a Friday and Saturday night). Good value I think, especially on the Friday & Saturday.

Problem stems from the Excalibur and Luxor rates. Excalibur coming out at an average of $89 for a standard Tower room across all 5 nights, or $109 for a renovated Widescreen room.

Luxor coming out at $97 across all 5 nights for a Pyramid room.

That is some considerable saving if I opt for the Lux or the Excal. However the MGM is our favourite hotel, but will it all be a tad familiar having stayed there less than a year ago.

We have stayed at both the Luxor and the Excalibur before also, but not since 2002 and 2006 respectively.

I really don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

For the pool alone, I would stay at MGM. Also, it is still early for August rates. I would book the MGM and if the rates drop, ask for the lower rate.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

How likely are they to drop? My experience of Vegas is June and September, never August. Flight prices to the USA are horrendous in August from England, but I must admit I was surprised by the value already in the rates in LV.

Very good point on the pool.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

You stayed at MGM. You should have the Players Club card.

Check fatwallet.com for cheaper MGM promos:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/63/704925/

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Following advice last year (including from yourself) I have checked that website periodically for the past few weeks but aside from the long standing Maximum Escape rate (I think that is that it is called) there is nothing into August. Maybe I am just too early?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Yes, too early.

I, myself, have just recently found rooms in June for MGM on the Players Club sight for my account. So August is a couple of months down the line. Keep checking.

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Yes, it is too early for those rates. At this point I think they only go to July. There should be more out in the next 4-6 weeks.

For me there would be no question about which to pick (MGM) because the hotel is part of my whole vacation experience.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Cheers Low.

I must admit the desire to stay at the MGM again over any other property in Vegas, is probably going to make the cost issue irrelevant come the time of booking, but it doesn't hurt to try and get the best value.

I will keep checking that Players Card link.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Yep agreed Damama, the MGM is streets ahead of the Excalibur and Luxor.

I think in just a few replies I have had my mind made up for me. Full concentration towards the MGM and the Players Card rates in the next few weeks then!!!

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

Good decision, ju.

10. Re: Am struggling to decide which MGM Mirage proprerty Aug 08...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:22