We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

My parents are heading to the U.S for the first time. They are staying in Seattle but a friend of my mother's has convinced them to go to Vegas! My mother is taking her brother as a surprise(they have not seen each other for over 10 years).

I am at a loss as to which hotel to book them. They would like CHEAP rooms. I was close to booking rooms at the '4 Queens' but after flicking through the forum I decided to make this post. What is the difference between Down Town and the The Strip? Would you recommend Down Town area for 3 mature adults(55-60 years) or should I book them for The Strip?

My parents are not into gambling, they'd just be wandering around for the experience but I don't want them staying in a dodgy area or missing out on anything.

They'd be arriving on a Tuesday and leaving on Thursday midday flight(2 night stay). So any advice on how close to the Airport/transport arrangements are much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

No, downtown would be a poor choice. It's a gambler's paradise and there is not enough there for a nongambler to do. The extra money you would spend of a Strip room will be worth it when you factor in the time and money it would take to get to the strip as well as all the free sightseeing opportunites.

Look into the places like Flamingo, Harrahs, Bill's, MGM and Monte Carlo. They are solid choices and you can usually find decent deals for them. There are few offstrip hotels with free shuttles to the strip like Orleans and Gold Coast that can be affordable but a strip location is best for first timers.

As for airport transfers, for three adults, a cab would be most economical.

bjdude
Level Contributor
428 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

The Strip would be a better choice since your parents are not into gambling. They can spend a couple of hours during night in Downtown though for the Fremont Street Experience, and checking out Carl Ferris plays Saxophone (youtube.com/watch…).

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

They should definitely stay on the strip. Downtown is great but it is far away from the main attractions, restauants, shows, etc.

Try to get a hotel that is centrally located. Try Bill's, Bally's or the Flamingo. They can then walk to many hotels on the north or south strip. I wouldn't even bother with a downtown visit-they are not going to be there long enough.

The easiest way to get to the hotel- have them take a cab. The line might seem long but it usually moves quickly.

I am sure they are going to have a blast.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

Amazing fast responses!

Exactly what I wanted to hear :) Approximately how much would a cab fare be? I will be looking at the hotels mentioned already, but any others I could look up while I'm there?

Another general question. Changing money, are there plenty of exchanges both in Seattle and Las Vegas that offer good rates?

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

No, downtown is not OK.

For a cheap room, look at Hooters, Excalibur, Imperial Palace. If those are too high, Sahara, Stratosphere.

Downtown is a dodgy area, where you miss out on everything

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

www.smartervegas.com Price the Luxor, MonteCarlo rooms from the links listed there. If you can get them for $70, well worth it. If not, try an Excalibur link.

The Aus. dollar exchanges well against the US "peso", you don't have to break the bank to get a decent room.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

When are they traveling?

They should be able to find better prices since they're staying mid-week. Not sure what 'cheap' means to you. Do you have a budget that they're trying to stay within?

Great advice staying on the strip - they'll get a better feel for Vegas being that they have a relatively short trip.

Check Bally's, Flamingo, Monte Carlo, Paris - all nice properties. If they're traveling soon (summer) I bet you'll be able to find great deals.

Taxis to and from the airport - plan on $15 - $18 each way including tip. Going back to the airport from hotel will be less expensive.

It's the easiest/quickest way to get to the hotel. They could take a shuttle but with three people it's not going to be cheaper and it takes much longer to get to your destination. Easy to do - there's a huge taxi line (moves quickly) right outside baggage claim at airport.

Sorry - no help with exchange questions.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

I agree that your parents will enjoy the Strip more than downtown . . . ESPECIALLY if they're not into gambling.

Further, I recommend Center Strip since they'll have a short time there.

Properties to check first . . . Flamingo, Bally's and Bill's. If you go with Flamingo, I suggest NOT getting a go room. The bathroom doors are glass . . . not providing much in the way of privacy.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

Distance from the airport should not be a consideration in deciding where to book. All the Strip hotels are close enough that the difference in cab fare will not be more than a few dollars.

I agree with the others that your parents should definitely stay someplace reasonably central if their main interest is walking around and sightseeing. I would look at the following hotels, in no particular order: MGM, Bally's, Bill's, Flamingo, and Harrah's. You should be able to find a good rate at one of these for a midweek stay.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed! Booking 2nights for parents. Downtown ok?

Brilliant guys!

They are going next month, mid June! Thanks so much for the links, I will try and find the cheapest rates. By 'Cheap' I meant less than <100 a night for all 3 and this definitely seems feasible looking at many places for around $70 a night. (Two Queens or a Queen or a double).