We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

We are planing to visit Vegas again later this year, probably September/October 2008.

Just wondering if anyone has flown with any low cost airlines from Lax to Vegas and if there are any we should avoid or that anyone could recommend.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

Southwest is the king of low cost airlines. They have 14 flights per day from LAX-LAS. The current price for random dates in September is $53 each way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

Thanks Kintica,

I am tending to be drawn to Southwest and the way the Australian dollar is at the moment it's good value for us :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

Hi Dingoes! I am headed your way next year!

I agree, Southwest is the best airline for bargains from the LA area. They are in terminal 1, at the very top of the horseshoe bend drive that goes around the airport. You'll come in at Bradley (terminal 5) at the bottom of the u bend, most likely.

Just give yourselves PLENTY of time between landing and catching your Las Vegas leg. Not only does it take awhile to get through customs (unless you clear in HNL)and such, the Southwest terminal is usually very crowded. Plus, there's a checkin option online 24 hours in advance for a flight, which may not be availabe to you if your are in the middle of a Trans Pacific flight at the time ;-)but SWA may be able to give you some suggestions or help on that.

If you have any specieifc questions about LAX or such, do please PM me. I fly out of there all the time and also live just a few minutes away. Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

Thanks Kittygal.

We will stay at a hotel at Lax probably for about 2 nights to get over the jet lag from Sydney after a 16 hour flight. We did that time when we last flew to Vegas and in 2006 on our way to Disneyworld. It's a lot better than doing a long flight in one hit. Plus we want to have a day at Universal Studios :)

I'd say that SWA will be the airline we will choose. I have had a look at their website and their fares are pretty good.

We stayed at the Airport Marriott in 2006 and had a nice room.

Apart from the rude young girl at reception as there was a slight problem with our booking, everything was cool.

Hope u have a great time when u get to Australia :)

Cheers

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

I agree with Southwest. You should know however that terminal's security/check-in line is horrendously longer than the other terminals. Make sure to get to the airport in plenty of time, especially if you are travelling Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

We flew Melbourne to LAX then on to Vegas with AA last July for around $50.00. The only funny thing we found was once we go to the terminal, went through security and then to the "gate" they scanned our boarding passes like you do before you go on the areobridge, then we went down some stairs and had to catch a bus into the middle of the airfield, into this little terminal, were you wait for the plane to be ready... very odd...

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

That sounds like you flew American Eagle. Was it a prop plane--small jet? They fly alot of short hops (like San Diego, Monterey, etc. where I go on business).

We joke the reason it takes so long to take off is they are pulling the slingshot back! And yes, the first time you drive onto the runway it's a bit unnerving. But there's actually a dedicated right of way for traffic, both coming and going, up and down the field. You'll see lots of vehicles of all kinds traversing it.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

have you considered driving to LV?

Since you will be in LA staying at a hotel, the actual time to get to LAX, check-in, board, fly to LAS, deplane, get luggage, transport to hotel - is about the same time, maybe less, depedning on your start point in LA.

Money for me would be irreleavent, the convenience factor (whicever way you consider more convenient) would drive my decision.

Driving you can keep your own scedule and not contend with airline delays, if any.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
9. Re: Airlines Lax/Las/Lax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 06:18