We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

I plan to hire a car to drive to Grand Canyon for a few days. I would want to pick this up and drop off in Las Vegas. Is it best to book this from the UK or will I get a better deal booking in Las Vegas?

Plus, what's the best way to search for the best deal? Do you just look at each rental companies websites or is there somewhere to compare them all at once?

Thanks

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

You could book a car without payment before you depart, then see if there's a better deal when you arrive. I doubt that would be the case, but who knows. A good search site is www.kayak.com

cornwall
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

Look at dollar's uk site,they tend to have good deals and there are numerous collection points in vegas

http://www.dollar.co.uk/

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

I recommend booking from the UK end as you are then sure all the required insurances are included. Try www.usrentacar.co uk. I've used them before and allworked well.

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

We always pre book from the UK. We like airlinenetwork.com which uses Dollar. All super -duper insurances are included plus extra driver so no nasty supplements at pick up. Also like it prepaid - it's one thing less to worry about.

Hessle UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

Remember that although US rental sites appear cheap compared to UK ones, US drivers generally find that their credit cards cover the essential insurances which ours dont.

These costs invariably pump up prices way above the UK sites costs.

We always use Dollar cars and rent initially through Dollar UK because they offer a no cost refund if plans cchnage during planning (as ours invariably do).

Always book the cheapest economy 2 door car with the platinum option (this gives you all extra drivers and a full tank of petrol - a bargain with Vegas prices hitting $4). We have never even seen a 2 door economy in Vegas, generally you will be offered at least a 4 door (and these are about the size of a Renault Clio) but more usually an intermediate at no extra cost).

Nearer the time, when we are sure of dates, we check against Airline Network and take their price if cheaper.

There are stack of Dollar locations in Vegas with no drop off charges for picking up at one and leaving at another.

England
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

Just hire a ferrari or a hummer h2 while along the strip mate

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

check out alamo.com. There's a link to a "Hot Deals" page... I found a weekly rate of 69.90 (compact car), using an E-coupon from this page. Of course, insurance/gas is not included.

8. Re: Rental Car - from UK or once in Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 21:16