We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Help!!!

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Help!!!

Hi there.

We're planning to tour a bit of the USA next year and would like to hire a convertible in San Francisco and drop it off about 10 days later in Las Vegas. We'll probably do about 2,000 miles.

Has anyone done this and can they suggest a car hire company that will be able to accomodate us?

Many thanks!

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Help!!!

Check the link and go to "Travel Center" and then "Reserve Car". The schedule currently only goes to December, but plug in some dates and you'll get an idea of different car rental companies. (I typed in Novemeber 1, renting Las Vegas and returning San Fran and Hertz was $665.00 plus tax and fees).

WATCH OUT for "drop off" charges, this cost add hundreds of dollars to the rental. ALWAYS much cheaper to rent and return same place.

http://www.southwest.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Help!!!

Yes, do check about drop off charges, otherwise you might be in for a rude surprise!!

Good US car rental companies are

Avis

Hertz

Budget

Enterprise

Dollar

for most just type in www. and the name such as avis and .com

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Help!!!

Bikergirl,

One thing I have learned form reading Trip Advisor posts is costs and rules are much different for non US citizens hiring a car in the US. The American term is "renting" a car, so don't let the different terminology confuse you. Most of the British citizens I have come across on this site use companies at home to arrange their car hire, but end up with one of the American companies. Alamo and Thrifty are other good value American car hire companies.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
883 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Help!!!

Hi bikergirl - sounds like a great trip!

We rented a car from Dollar in Vegas in May. We were very satisfied with the car/service/cost.

But as previous posts have warned, be prepared for some hefty add on costs to the basic charges, e.g. insurance, taxes, CDW etc. These are unavoidable and I would not advise doing a trip without maximum insurance cover.

We collected the car from our hotel in Vegas and returned it to Tuscon AZ eight days later. The drop off charge was $100. This was the lowest drop off fee we could find from any rental company, and the whole deal was over $200 cheaper than any other reputable company.

I spent about six weeks regularly checking and comparing all the main car hire firm's US websites for special deals before we finally decided to go for Dollar. We booked on line before we left UK.

Another tip - try not to make your pick up from an airport location. There is often a higher charge for airport collection in comparison to a pick up from a hotel or town location.

Good luck, and enjoy planning your trip! :0)