We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

As it stands right now, I'm going back to LV the last week of August. I'm actually not too thrilled about it, but I'm doing it for my dad.

Have you ever NOT wanted to go to Vegas? I never knew this feeling was possible.

I had originally intended on taking Dad in December. It will be his first time in Las Vegas and he's really excited. One of the things we both really want to do is the Star Trek Experience. I've done it before and know it's a cheesy thing, but he's a huge nerd and really wants to see it. I know it is going to be the highlight of his trip. Now that they are closing on September 1st, we have to go before then. Can't go this month - that means August or Bust.

You want to know what else he wants to do on this trip? He really wants to go to a Long John Silver's restaurant. Seriously. This is how he wants to spend his Vegas vacation. Fried fish and chips from a drive-thru. We don't have any in our local area but he sees commercials for them on the TV and wants to go. Gimme a break, Dad. But I'll humor him and we'll hit the one out by Sam's Town. It's his trip...not mine. Even though I'm paying for it, he is the guest of honor and we're gonna do whatever he wants to do.

If we were going later in the year I would be more excited. But I was just in LV last month. And I don't like fried fish. I'm concerned about how my dad is going to handle the hot weather. I've been in August before and I know what to expect. I know I can handle it but I don't know if he can handle it. I want to show him all the best that Vegas has to offer, but it's going to be terribly hot to wander around on the Strip and play the tourist.

Ugh. Can anyone sympathize? I know it sounds like "Oh poor me. I HAVE to go to Vegas. Boo hoo!" But if I'm being honest here...I don't want to go.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

I can kinda sorta relate. I went to Vegas last August for fun but then returned barely a month later to work at a convention. I wasn't thrilled about the work part of course but I figured the extra few days I asked for would be the payoff. Well, the first couple days were cool but as I was primarily solo and not real skilled at chatting up strangers, I was "Vegased out" by the last day or so.

Good for you to make the sacrifice for your Dad though. But as far as simple pleasures go, I'm actually looking forward to finally hitting In-N-Out Burger. ;)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,853 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

But what a nice thing you're doing for your father. Believe me, we took my father and my in-laws many, many times - and they were all royal pita's in one way or another. Now only one is left and I'm glad we did what we did.

At least yours is excited and wants to do stuff - ever try taking someone to be nice and it's the bored I don't care what do you want to do syndrome? Count yourself as being lucky...and if the worst thing you have to do is scrape the breading off your fish it's not such a big deal, is it?

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Well Alice, I think the saddest part of this whole trip is the Long John Silver's thing! They had them all over town here but they have slowly twindled due to the poor food this place produces. Have your dad take a look at the reviews on epionions.com and maybe he'll change his mind.

I sort of had the same feeling you have about 2 trips I made this past year, one in January and another in March but all that "I wish I hadn't made the plane reservations" feeling subsided once I hit that great city.

Of course, after your dad experiences Vegas in August I doubt he'll ever want to go again!

On a positive note, I hope you 2 have a great trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

lol - Warmwinds. My point about the fried fish is just that there are so many other great places to eat but this is the one that is his priority. I'll get some fried shrimp or something. Anything for Dad.

Yes, I know I'm fortunate. I know he's going to be a fun travel partner. My dad is awesome and we're going to have fun no matter what.

But for now, I'm just not looking forward to going. Once we get there I'm sure my concerns will mean nothing.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

I think it is wonderful that you are taking your dad...I am sure he appreciates it. Don't worry about Long John Silver's because you may end up liking it and there will be other dinners while you are there.

Just go and have a wonderful time with your dad.

Liz

Devon
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Alice chin up, its great to take your Dad, I wish mine would let me take him, if just an excuse to go back so soon. He should have been in that film Grumpy Old Men lol.

Dont worry get this one out the way and the next one in Dec you can get yourself ready for the party.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,060 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Alice, take every opportunity you can to spend quality time with your dad. I regret that I didn't get to do many things with my dad; I was too busy making and stashing. What I would give to take him to Vegas if he was still with us. Carpe diem.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Next week I am taking my Dad for his 80th birthday. Belive me when I say that July 16th certainly wouldn't be my choice of a time to visit Las Vegas. Yes it's going to be hot, and it even seems worse for us because we're from Northern California. But we'll manage. When necessarry we will just stay in our hotel.

I've given this a lot of thought and this trip will be designed for his comfort. It will be nothing like my normal trips. We are not going to stay on the Strip. It would be too crowded for him, especially Friday & Saturday. And he doesn't need to be around the noise and have to jostle thru crowds. So we will stay at Orleans.

Of course we will avoid much activity during the afternoon and early evening. But that's the great thing about Las Vegas, you can make your own hours. And in this case, if we are tired we will just take it easy.

The important thing to remember is WHY we are going. It's not really to gamble or to see things---it's to spend time with our Dads. And we can acomplish this whether it's December or July.

We may have to do a few things differently, but I'm sure our Dads will have a good time. And so will you.

United States
Level Contributor
20,011 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

Have to agree with HH55. Take your Dad and make the best of it. Let him do what he wants to do and enjoy himself. It's for him, so make sure he has a good time. You will be glad you did one day.

Kennewick...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going back again? Yes, unfortunately...

You might turn out to have fun afterall. I do know that after he does those couple of things, he will probably be glad to go with the flow where you can make some decisions that will make you happy.

I went in mid-June and had a terrific trip, and then almost went nine days after getting home, because someone wanted me to go with her. The prices weren't low enough,so I didn't, but now I thinking of doing a four day trip mid-July spur of the moment on, for the first time, solo. I can't decide. The plane fare is decent and I have two free nights, and two cheap nights, but I just am not sure it won't turn out to be dull. If I don't take the opportunity while I have it, I may not get a similar chance for a solo trip again for a long while.

So, I can sympathize with wondering about an upcoming trip and whether there will be any enjoyment.