We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

Is it true at MGM they know if you move their food/drink out of the bar fridge, use it for your own stuff then put theirs back in. Do they charge you even though you haven't eaten or drunk anything of theirs?

essex england
Level Contributor
732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

if they are electronic like we have had in uk for a while yes, they go by the weight of the item being lifted out, so if you have the item out for more than say 40 sec (not sure on the actual length of time) even if you put it back you will be charged. the fridge will think that you have eaten or drunk it and it had been replaced by the maid. but you have to check to see if the hotel has these types of mini bars

Boston
Level Contributor
24,578 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

Its NOT a fridge, its a mini bar and not meant to be a fridge for your use.

Dont Hotels in Australia have mini bars??

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

You can request a fridge from housekeeping for little or no charge at most hotels. If you are worried that someone in your party may accidently move something in the fridge, you can request the fridge be locked.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

This would be true of any mini bar in Vegas.

But I can't seem to remember a mini bar in MGM rooms. (of course I'm old with no memory, lol) I've just had a regular fridge in the suites.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

I just stayed in a grand tower room and there was no fridge/mini-bar. Bungalow and celebrity spa suites have an empty fridge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

This is quite normal for mini-bars these days.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

I, too, just stayed in a Grand Tower room, but we rented a fridge for $35.00 for the whole week we were there. I think that is a good value in order to keep drinks, food, etc. We requested it at check in and by the time we got up to our room the fridge was already there.

Great service!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

I was billed for a whole mess of items from the minibar at Caesars Palace because I used it for my own things then replaced theirs. I explained this at checkout and they didn't charge me. Didn't seem like a big problem.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

Diceman, yeh we have mini bars in the hotels here in oz, but everytime I stay in a hotel here, I remove all their drinks and put my own in.

If I am staying more than one night I make sure I stack their drinks where the person can see them when they come to check the mini bar.

Level Contributor
1,929 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MGM bar fridge - charged for moving stuff around?

At Caesars and Rio, the mini-bars have signs on them warning you not to remove/move items, or you will be charged. I'd bet all hotels with these electronically-monitored minibars have similar signs.

Now, a nice front desk clerk can remove the charges for you. But if you choose to ignore the signs, they're completely within their rights to charge you the ridiculous mini-bar prices.