We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back in the day...

DV3
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
Back in the day...

I really don't like that term but it seemed relevant to the question and it seems to be accepted speak these days.

Anyway, back when I first started using TA for travel information, I found it useful, as I do today, but "back in the day", it wasn't unacceptable to "chat" in any forum until TA realized it was inevitable and created the "off-topic chat" forum. Obviously this rule has been relaxed for the Vegas forum and so I ask....

As a user of TA, do you find the off-topic chat in this forum usefull or a distraction? I also wonder if you think the moderation of off-topic chat is fair? In other words, is someone's opinion off-topic in any thread as many removed posts are labeled?

Just a thought.

Doc

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,622 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Seattle
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back in the day...

DOC: Geez, it seems like such a long time since I used to "rattle your cage"...I think you may have meant that back in the day, it "was unacceptable" to chat....rather than "wasn't"...anyway, as you may have noticed, I no longer hang around on TA, because of their acceptance of "off topic chatter"...Seems it all started with the Mega junk...and, NO, doesn't really seem to be any consistant reason to delete some posts, but allow others (for example, check out your original post on the OVM&G...It is 90% chat room...I think TA will stop this soon, as it seems the number of posts about actual pertinent questions have decreased..course, just my opinion...and TA will probably delete your post soon...as a side note on the "speedos" post, wouldn't it be great to view StaunchSteve and VegasMan in their speedos at the pool?...Have a good time with your buddies at the Dec. visit..

Boston
Level Contributor
24,639 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back in the day...

Im fairly new on here, whatever it was like in the old days I know nothing about, what I do know is the amount of crap that has nothing to do with LV on a daily basis. I dont find it distracting I find it amusing.

Mega meets

One more sleep stupidy

I have a cold dont know if I can go

Travel Directions

Where can I buy jeans

Roll call

How much have you won

How many times did you sneeze

The pillow was great

I have also noticed that the majority of posts on this board are not from people staying at the higher end properties or eating in the better restaurants, its more about doing things in the cheapest way possible with no regard to quality or convenience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back in the day...

Not sure why somone who is known to be chatty themselves at times is asking this sort of question.

The mega type threads are good PR and TA must think so, they certainly sent enough free gifts to be handed out at the June MEGA. If someone doesn't care for the chattiness on some threads, then they just ignore them, after all the mega type threads are mostly under just one title, easy to skip over.

The Vegas forum is one of the most successful TA has, you don't mess with success. I do like to see posts that are snarky/nasty taken down. There is no reason for anyone to do a reply and be nasty for any reason whatsoever. All posts should be done in a polite and respectful way. You don't like it if someone gets even remotely nasty or disagree with you, well others don't like that sort of treatment either.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Haven West...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back in the day...

The way I look at it is if there is a topic or thread you don't like or want to read don't read it. They sell some crap books at Barnes and Noble but I still go and buy what I like. So, read what you like and let the "chat" go.

Secondly, what you think is a distraction others may enjoy reading.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back in the day...

You are right on that. What one deems to be important another might find stupid. People come to this forum for a variety of reasons. Some of those 'silly' posts are deemed to be important or of value to not only the poster, but also to others that come to this forum.

Diceman, the people that ask those questions you don't deem to be of value are no less important than the ones you do think are good questions or replies. Not everyone wants to stay at a Wynn or Bellagio and eat in fine dining restaurants. Those peoples queries are just as important as yours would be.

If you aren't interested in something or find it silly/stupid, just move on, no need to bother opening up the thread if it doesn't interest you. That should apply to everyone here.

Mentioned in this post
Wynn Las Vegas
Wynn Las Vegas
19,887 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Bellagio Las Vegas
Bellagio Las Vegas
13,988 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
on TA
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back in the day...

Definitely distraction, Doc. Chatty posts push information, which is actually relevent to the everyday traveler seeking advice, to page ten and beyond. Opinion is fine, and what many of us seek, but I, for one, could do without knowing how a certain group of folks spent their weekend, who cracked what body part, the weather, child rearing, etc. This info shows up on many more threads than just the "mega" ones, and IMO should be reserved for private messaging. Fairly certain the regulars will have this post shut down before the light of day, but thanks for daring to rattle the cage. Fire up those torches megagal TAFFs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back in the day...

I just remembered something. Doc, you have started threads about things such as toilet paper and chips on this forum......so why are you now questioning 'off topic' chat on the forum? Just wondering.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back in the day...

I don't think that OT chat is useful OR a distraction. I personally find that certain chatty discussions bring a bit more of posters' real personalities, opinions, etc. to this public forum that adds (or takes away) from their credibility on relevant Vegas travel issues. Freedom of speech is a cherished gift and if I have to scroll back a couple of pages to find "pure" Vegas relavant posts, so be it. I think a better use of TA resources would be to build improved search tools that would allow users to filter through posts to find exactly the topic or subject matter they are looking for.

Just my thoughts =)

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back in the day...

The chatter does not bother me.

If I am looking for something for a trip I will use the search or click next to scan 8-10 pages for a topic.

What I am not impressed with is the censorship or should I say lack of consistency of the censorship. I have seen legit topics closed and called off topic where others have been left open. I have no problem with vulgar/rude comments being deleted.

I have no problem with the budget traveler, looking for the bargain. That shouldn't bother anyone. I rould rather make 6 trips to Vegas a year and have a great time then just one and pay more than I need to for lodging and meals.

Not everyone needs an over the top dining experience or a suite. I do enjoy reading the views of those that do enjoy that just the same as I do of those that travel on a tighter budget.

Off topic chatter adds a little personality to the forum. I doubt it has really hurt, since at the top it says over 32 million travelers planned trips here this week.

Mentioned in this post
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back in the day...

Even off topic chatter might contribute something meaningful. Then again I sleep with "white noise" so what do I know. :->