We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Hi

Im planing to see the Skywalk . My question is : going by car , bus , helicopter or ...?

What was your experience ?

Im renting car at the airport - can I drive off road with it ? how is the road ? how long drivin by car ?

Any advice .

thanx

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
304 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Based on what I have been reading on here - you are better off planning a different trip. Skywalk does nto get good reviews.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Do not drive a rental car to the Skywalk. The last 14 miles of road are unimproved and you will most likely damage the car. Your rental car agreement will be void. It's not worth the cost and aggravation. The same can be said for the skywalk. Read the reviews. As long as you're willing to drive, go to the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park at the South Rim instead. It takes about an hour longer to get there, but it is the real Grand Canyon. It will cost you less ($25 per car vs $80 per person!) and you'll have a much better experience.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,738 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Everything I have heard says taking a car may be a problem. Bad roads.

So, IF you're going to go, take the bus. But it's almost scary to read the reviews. I mean, it isn't often that something gets so universally panned. Seriously, check the reviews, you can't find a good one!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

We rented a Hummer from alllasvegastours.com and it made the trip just fine. The last 20 miles are not paved-just a graded gravel road. It goes right through the Joshua tree forest. Despite what others may say, we enjoyed it immensely. The views are not as large as the south rim, but it has a beauty all of it's own. The skywalk was scarier than I thought it would be. Walking over the glass was hard for me to do while looking down, but I would gladly do it again.

nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

Stay away,,, Buyer Beware,,,, Tourist RIPOFF

Not worth the trouble, bad roads aggravation, expense.

GOOGLE the name for a FREE PICTURE

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

I think the best way of describing going to the Skywalk/Grand Canyon West is that you'll be going to see a tourist attraction. Going to Grand Canyon National Park, you'll be going to see one of the greatest natural wonders of the world.

Don't drive a car to GCW. The road is unpaved, and most hire companies won't cover their cars on unpaved roads. Whether you want to take the risk or not is up to you, I certainly wouldn't. GCW is very expensive compared to the GCNP South Rim, and they find every possible way to get money off you. You can't take anything with you onto the Skywalk, not even your camera!

To be honest, if I was going to go to GCW (and I won't be), I'd go by helicopter. It'll be a short journey from Vegas, and you'll get a great view.

7. Re: From Las Vegas to Skywalk - by car , bus or ...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 10:16