We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute birthday trip planning

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
11 posts
Save Topic
Last minute birthday trip planning

Hi. I'm new here but have been reading these forums for a while. Anyway, I came up with a random idea to take my mom to Vegas for her birthday next month. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do it but if I could I want to. I'm trying to find good airfare rates for departure on the 7th and returning on the 9th (her birthday's the 8th.)

I could easily afford somewhere like Circus Circus or Excalibur but we've stayed at Excalibur before. I have no complaints with it, I just want to stay somewhere nice for her. She loves the Paris but the nightly rate is a little out of my price range right now.

I've been thinking about either the Monte Carlo, MGM Grand (which we stayed at for my 21st a few years ago), or the Luxor. My original plan was to book a package with airfare and hotel and then get her a massage at the hotel spa. So I'm just going to throw out a few questions that I'm wondering about:

#1 What would be the best way to get plane tickets? Through a travel site like Travelocity or Cheaptickets or directly through the airline? We are also AAA members but I don't really think they have the best deals.

#2 I've been discovering that instead of getting a vacation package, it seems to be cheaper to get airfare from one site and then book the hotel room directly with the hotel itself. Is this the way to go? Also, if I mention at the hotel desk that it's for my mother's birthday that we're here, what are the chances of a free upgrade?

#3 What are some good websites for promotional codes for hotels and whatnot? I found one on here yesterday but I can't find the thread I read it in!

Any help is appreciated. Like I said, I'm not positive that I'm going to go through with all of this but if I could get a good deal for airfare and a hotel, it'd make it possible. Thank you in advance!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

Johnny,

That is really sweet of you. Your mom will love it.

I think your package prices will depend on where you are flying from.

We are in SC and the best deals I found were on usairwaysvacations.com

I did find a little bit cheaper hotel prices but not airfare. Try that if nobody else gives you any other/better info.

Again, that's sweet and have a GREAT time - happy birthday to mom. :)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

Here's another link to try. I don't know anything about it, I found it on another post/reply.

earlyvegas.com/everything_las_vegas_store.ht…

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

Here are a few websites. I have used the travel zoo.

travelzoo.com

fatwallet.com

smartvegas.com

vegas.com

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

sorry about the frist posting. Please omit the smartvegas.com

Kansas
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

Thank you, guys. I'll look at those when I get off work tonight. Either way the trip will happen whether it's now or later.

Poodle, I'll be flying out of Kansas City and it seems like good deals are rare, if ever, to be found. I might try AAA on Monday to see if they can quote me anything better.

I think the best deal I've found so far has been airfare and reservations at Harrah's for about $650, give or take.

I'll check back. Thanks again!

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

Your best air fare out of MCI is on Southwest (and direct flights)

Kansas
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

A fellow Kansan, I see :)

One of my biggest frustration has been that I'll find a decent deal and when I click it, it says there was an error and they jack up the price another couple hundred.

I checked out the "Wanna Get Away" fare and for 2 tickets it was $517, which is quite reasonable if I can book a hotel room for 2 nights for 100-120 total.

Thanks, Ducky!

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

This is the FatWallet site, but you have to be careful with some of the special rates since you have to be a player's card member.

www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-deals/704925

If you gamble at Harrah's in KC and are experiencing difficulties booking online, just call the number on your player's card, give them your Total Rewards number, and they can assist with a reservation.

I personally wouldn't want to stay at Excal or Circus Circus, but that's me. I quickly entered your dates for Bill's just to see what would be offered and got this (doesn't look bad to me);

www.billslasvegas.com/rates.php

Anyway you are within a couple weeks of travel so hope you can get some decent air and hotel rates!

9. Re: Last minute birthday trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 20:17