We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Topic
To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

Hi All-

Going to Vegas for the 9th time next month. It seems every time I go I say that I am going to set a schedule of exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. In the end, it never happens and I always end up spending more money than I want and usually do not get to check anything off of my Vegas to-do list.

Does this happen to anyone else? For those of you who do plan are you glad you do or wish you hadn't. To Plan or Not to Plan--->That is the Question!

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

Well I think you have to set a budget. I know that when I go there are a few things that I will be doing, I always take a little extra $$, more for emergencies, but sometimes I under budget my trip.

Hudson WI
Level Contributor
352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

It depends on how badly you want to do the things you put on your list. We plan some things and leave the rest to living in the moment, which in my opinion, is what Vegas is about....to a degree.

As far as budget goes, it really is self discipline to set a budget and do your very best to stick to it. Don't bring more than you intend to spend and leave your credit cards locked up.

When I went in April, one night I brought more money with than I intended to spend and low and behold, the "beer google justification" kicked in and I lost all that I had brought with me that night by thinking I could afford higher bets than I should. I was sick about it, but I got over it, and it wasn't a large amount of money to anyone but me. The moral is, I had no one to blame but myself and I learned my lesson for the next time. Whatever is in my wallet that night is what I am willing to part with. Period.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

When I go to Vegas I always set a budget for gambling. I don't ever go over budget when I am gambling.

However, one of the best things about Vegas is the food! This is an area my hubby and I can get into trouble. We love to try new restaurants. We try and have a food plan. I will research the restaurants we want to visit and try to figure out when to go etc..

I am kinda like you, I've been to Vegas over 40 times and last year I finally made it to the Eiffel Tower to watch the Bellagio fountains. I always say that I am going to do certain things and well, sometimes I can't get off of the craps table.

I say don't plan. To me that's not what vacation is about. You shouldn't have to be on a time table.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
784 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

I think this depends on the individual. Some people love the spontaneity of "winging it". Not me, I might miss something. Personally, I plan ad nauseum - down to the last pair of non-lethal tweezers in the carryon. Itinerary could very well be my middle name.

We planned on seeing the new Cirque show, Believe but sadly the reviews aren't getting any better. I am thankful for the brutally honest reviews here on TA, especially now that our dollar is worth a gloomy $.85, we will pursue more worthwhile use of our precious time.

Indeed, I do so much planning and snooping that I even know what the soap looks like in the hotel bathroom before we board the plane. I love LV and when there I want to see and do as much as possible with our limited time and budget. I discovered you limit your sleep to 3 or 4 hours.

This time we stay in a condo with full kitchen. A great way to cut costs is by grocery shopping and cooking your own meals. I know you are on vacation, but with a little work, you will be able to do more stuff as eating out can be expensive.

Whatever your choice, may you thoroughly enjoy the experience that is Las Vegas.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

I agree that it truly depends on the person. I don't think we'd enjoy a Vegas trip as much if we had to stick to an itinerary.

Things we always plan:

Flight

Room reservations

Rental car

Things we/I sometimes plan:

Show tickets

Brunch or dinner reservation

Getting to a free sho

Meeting up with friends & family

Manicure/pedicure

Shopping (if I know I need something for a special night

Honestly, I find it somewhat stressful to have too much planned. And I've found that dealing with other people can lead to a less-than-ideal Vegas visit for us. My husband & I do Vegas together great. We make a few plans and bring along our list of things to do and go from there.

But everyone's different!

Hamilton...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

my wife & i use to plan a ton before vegas. we had a daily schedule. ok it's 11am we are suppose to be at the pool now, 1:30 time to go for lunch, 3:00 go to wynn etc. it became too much. now we do a rough outline & everything is flexible. one thing we always do is make dinner rez's so we have them. being spontaneous is fun & more relaxing.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

Maybe the problem is that you're making your plan too rigid, and therefore impossible to stick to. Instead, try first making a list of the things you most want to do and see during your next trip. Then, assign each to a general time frame such as "Tuesday afternoon". Make note of anything that will require a reservation or tickets in advance, or has a specific start time.

This is what I do, and while I never end up sticking to all of my outline, I usually manage to hit more than half of the things I planned. There's something to be said for a little spontaneity.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
274 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

I think you have to plan to a certain extent. Do you have to follow the plan? Heck no! I will say this though, there is nothing I hate more then waking up in the morning and not having any idea what to do next. Sitting around thinking about what to do is a major waste of my vacation time.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

I am with JohnnyVegas - I used to plan so much and then I ended up getting angry at my husband because he'd be on a machine and wouldn't want to get off and my planning just went out the window! Now we usually plan (by buying tix ahead of time) for one show or tour and then some sightseeing - trying to get to places we have not been to yet. Other than that, we take it as it comes. After all it is a vacation and a vacation is supposed to be relaxing.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Plan or Not to Plan:Finacially Good Idea or Waste of Time

it only took our first trip for me to figure that I would be best served to have a "game plan" not persay a plan. this trip I am in the midst of preparing for Feb - I will have a list of the things I missed the first 2 times plus must eats, must sees, and must do's (sounds like a plan for me LOL)and everything else will fall into place naturally (I hope)... cripes -- yeah sounds like a plan huh... VIVA!