We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Las Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Las Vegas

I will be attending a trade show at the end of January and need advice on EVERYTHING!

Will likely stay at the Las Vegas Hilton, but other than that - where do I eat? shop? what shows should I see? which bus tour to the Grand Canyon? - any advice will be appreciated.

I am not into gambling (which is why it's my first trip to LV).

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Las Vegas

Welcome to Las Vegas.

Most every topics you need has been discussed here. Go on to that little box up there and type in a keyword: food, show, GC whatever you desire and you will have tons of discussion to get you started.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Las Vegas

At the top of this forum is a Sticky called 125 Things to do in Las Vegas (it states for families but pertains to everyone)

That is such a great comprehensive list that we asked TA to post it for everyone to see, so use it as a starting point.

There is also a search box at the top, and you can find pretty much anything that you need to know here.

I also use several sites like the Las Vegas Visitor and Convention Bureau, Las Vegas Advisor, and Las Vegas Review (the online newspaper) to name a few.

Hope these are a good starting point for you and that you enjoy your trip!

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Las Vegas

Here is a list of attractions available-

http://www.vegas.com/attractions/

To me the must sees-Bellagio conservatory and fountains at night, Forum Shops at CP, Eiffel Tower and Venetian canals and ceilings.

If you have never seen a Cirque show- Love and Mystere are both excellent shows.

Where to eat depends on what kind of food you like and how much you want to spend.

Shopping: for a regular mall- Fashion Show Mall across from TI is very good. For outlet malls- Premium Mall is the best or Las Vegas Outlet Center.

lasvegasadvisor.com/…

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Las Vegas

Also search "First Time".

THe LV Hilton is an OK place to stay...convenient to the convention center but not directly on the Strip. Served by the ever more expensive monorail. Fairly easy to walk to the Strip at the Sahara hotel and catch bus to downtown if you wish. Definitely worth one evening to see the Fremont Street Experience lightshow canopy.

LV Hilton has many good dining options in most price ranges and cuisines. http://www.lvhilton.com/ check out dining link. Also check out reviews for the restaurants at www.cheapovegas.com. All their reviews are refreshingly candid (and usually funny). We usually try to make it to LVH once to go to Benihana when on business expense account.

#1 tip though....bring good well broken in shoes and expect to walk, walk and walk some more. For anyone else I'd also advise it may be cool in late January but it would definitely be a LOT warmer than somewhere like Thunder Bay or Kenora or really anywhere in Ontario.

Even if you never gamble at all sign up for some slot clubs. Many new signups get coupon books that can be somewhat useful for food or drink discounts and sometime show discounts.

5. Re: First time to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 17:16