We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"O" vs Mystere or others

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"O" vs Mystere or others

Okay first I'll apologize for asking this tired question and yes I have read reviews and previous posts but I really would like some current advice.

I'm planning on going next month with a group. We'd like to go to a Cirque show but can't quite decide which one. I thought I was set on seeing "O" but then I read some not so great reviews and we found a good deal on tickets for Mystere. None of us has ever been to a Cirque show before so I suspect no matter which we pick it will be great but I still want to try and make the right choice as I do want to be "blown away" and may not make it to another show. What I heard about "O" that didn't impress me was about a sad or terrible clown act - I HATE clowns and that some parts of the show may be somewhat slow. Since I'm hoping to go to a late show on the night we arrive I was hoping it would be diversion enough to keep me up and later so I could make more of my time. I may feel sleepy already so do I want a show that could be slow and somewhat sleep inducing at points? But I loved the idea of a water element - sounded cool.

I'd like fast paced action, flashy moves and costumes, something of a story line and some comedic moments. I'm not big on traditional acrobatic circus type acts which I find boring after a short while - and as previously stated - clowns do nothing for me.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

Can i suggest KA @ MGM. I can't compare it to any other Cirque show except La Nouba in Orlando.

KA popped straight into my head when i read what you liked...was amazing !!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

Thank you Kristy - KA is another one I could get a bit of a discount on so I'll look into that one. Have you seen any of the other LV shows?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

We also went to see Steve Wyrick (its a magic show @ Miracle Mile (PH)) - it was really cool because he interacts with the audience a fair bit but i think its more funny that illusional...does some great tricks mind but i probably wouldn't go see it again unlike KA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

> I HATE clowns <

I think all of the CdS shows have their damned clowns

> "O" [...] some parts of the show may be somewhat slow <

Only if you have attention deficit disorder, IMO.

> I'd like [...] something of a story line <

All CdS shows have a very weak story line, usually to the point of non-existence

> I'm not big on traditional acrobatic circus type acts <

There's nothing very "traditional" about how CdS presents its acts, but it is best to think of a CdS show as a sequence of acts - tumbling, trapeze, acrobalance, etc.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

I think that either way you go is the right one, since you've never seen one. As others have said, the clowns are not the traditional clown acts ... and they are pretty much there just to keep the crowd entertained for 5 to 7 mins between acts when they have to reconfigure the stage and/or equipment. I'm not a fan of clowns either, but they give you something to watch for a few minutes and are occasionally funny.

I was "blown away" by both of them. Mystere might have had a slight edge, but very slight, on the "no way they just did that' scale. The acrobatics, agility, and strength of the performers in both are incredible.

For either show, my opinion is that seats near the center and in the back section are the way to go. You can see the entire stage, and in Mystere, there is a lot happening above your head that is easier to view from near the back (front rows of the back section would be optimal for me).

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

Great, thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll just see which one I can get the better priced tickets for and has decent seating still available. Sounds like I'll really enjoy it no matter which we pick so that's promising.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

Myster We thought was soooooo goooood! then again K-got pulled into the act! I was going to book KA but just read another post & was going to go w/ O. Ive never read any reviews.....I didnt know there were weird sad clowns, geeze better keep looking. THere is a new one w/ that Chris Angel guy out there.....

If your into him...

KNK

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

I have seen Mystere (twice), O, Ka and Love. Mystere remains my favorite because I think it has the most WOW moments. It is a very typical CDS show. Love was fantastic in every way- music, sets, choreography, costumes, etc. It isn't a typical CDS because the emphasis is on the music rather than the acrobatic feats (although it does have some). I thought O was good but not nearly as good as Mystere or Love. I didn't like Ka at all- it just didn't hold my interest. I have not seen Zumanity and almost every review of Criss Angel said the show was a disaster.

My vote- Mystere or Love. You do not have to get the best seats for Love. I sat in the very last row and the seat was fine- I could see everything. I can't imagine you being bored with either show. Cirque shows are not typical circus shows minus the animals. They are in a category all their own.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
791 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

I agree with Vp in that Mystere is the best one of them all. Didnt like Zumanity and O was pretty good, but liked Mystere was better.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "O" vs Mystere or others

I've heard terrible things about Believe too so I'm not really considering that. Plus I wouldn't want ot give up any of my personal belongings at the door - even if you do get it back.

My husband saw Love a year or two ago while there for a conference and said he was blown away and he is by no means typically interested in anything that could even loosely be termed artsy. So I know that show must be fabulous too.

I think I'll have to really reconsider Mystere or Love - KA sounds intriguing but again some not so great reviews. Anyone with thoughts on La Reve?