We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

south western...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

We will be on a short trip to Las Vegas at the end of the month (3 days, 4 nights). I would like to get over to the Grand Canyon but understand that is a very long day. Are there any other bus tours that will show us some of the landscape in the area, but are not as long? Hoover Dam?

Can anyone recommend a good tour company to go with?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

I believe Grayline has a good reputation. The last time I was in Vegas I did a side trip to Hoover Dam but it was by private car and it was a nice short trip. Have you considered renting a car? I understand that is the best way to visit the Grand Canyon and that's what I plan to do in March.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

Agree..renting a car is the way to go if you would like to go to Grand Canyon. The pace is up to you and it will be cheaper and more fulfilling than any organized tours. The only short way to tour Grand Canyon National Park(south rim) is by airplane and Scenic Air and Maverick are gr8 companies for that. otherwise, for Hoover dam tours, Gray Line, Pink Jeep and Adventure Photo Tour are good

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

Rent a car and drive yourselves. Suggest Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Valley of Fire.

There are tours that fly fixed-wing aircraft to the GC, then you have a coach tour around there, a bit of walking/shopping time, then fly home. I think it's a shorter day than the RT coach tours from LV, but more expensive.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

Renting a car sounds like the best way to go. I am not a big fan of bus tours anyway.

Any suggestions on where to rent that would be close to the Las Vegas Hilton? and where to get the amazing deals I am reading about on this forum?

Southeast US
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

Rent a car and go to the VOF. There is nothing but beautiful scenery for miles and miles. So take care of everything before you head out.

I have driven to the GC and back. It was a long day but very worth it in our opinion. We left LV around 8 a.m. and got back around 1 a.m. I wanted to make sure I saw it in case I did not have another opportunity.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

try Pink Jeep Tours, they have an excellent reputation for customer service. We went to Mount Charlston, it was amazing, 85 degrees in the valley and 45 in the mountains, only 40 minutes away. All are pick up from your hotel and drop off on return anywhere within reason.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

This is such a busy forum, cinderella50, that you might want to start a new separate thread with your questions about car rentals :-)

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

My wife and I made a day trip of Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, and Valley of Fire. We loved it!!! The long part was the drive by Lake Mead to Valley of Fire, but it is gorgeous. We are midwesterners, so the views were unlike any we had seen before. Be sure to pack a lunch and water. We didn't and we ended up cutting the day short because we were a bit hungry and cranky.

East Granby...
Level Contributor
104 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

You might want to check with your hotel. My wife and I are going down next month and are renting a car at our hotel(MGM) from Dollar Car Rental. We wanted to take a day trip and decided a car was the best way to go. I'd rather drive and set my own schedule than ride in a bus. It's a lot cheaper too.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sightseeing outside of Las Vegas

Thanks so much everyone.

Apparently there is a car rental at the Hilton where we are staying, so that should be very convenient. Now I just need to find maps etc that will get us to the sights like Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam. There has to be a driving route somewhere on the web or in a book that we can refer to?