We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

I landed in Vegas at 1 pm Sunday 2/1. Had a car reserved at Dollar thru CarRentals.com at $20.61 per day ($91.49 with tax & fees). When I was checking online, Dollar's rate was cheaper than most of the others by about $2 per day. When we got to the rental car center, there were at least 75 people in line at Dollar. The line was barely moving. I checked the walk up rate at the nearby Budget counter but it was $39.99 per day plus tax & fees. Luckily I had their 800 # with me and was able to call for a cheaper reservation. I think i got $29.99 per day at Budget which was $119 with tax & fees. It cost me $30 more, but I'm sure I would have waited in that Dollar line for 2 or 3 hours so it was worth it.

So my advice is to carry the #'s of several of the major rental car companies with you , and to make reservations (neither company asked for a credit card to hold the reservation) with more than one company so you have a backup plan.

I know it's pretty basic advice, but think it's worth mentioning.

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,128 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
916 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

You should have joined Dollar Express (on-line). Most car rental agencies have some variation of it. Thrifty has Blue Chip. You have all your information done and most allow you to avoid the counter line and go straight to to where you pick up your car.

central Texas
Level Contributor
674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

Hi, If you book through Dollar.com you can sign up for their Dollar express card online and then not have to wait through that long line, you just go straight to the downstairs counter and sign your contract (which is already ready) and you are on your way:) There might be a small line downstairs but it is usually no more that 3 to 4 people in it.

(I've rented from them about 10 to 12 times and that has been the case each time.)

**Just make sure when you book online that you book it with your express card number.

That is a good idea having the major car rentals numbers on hand though!

Lea :)

central Texas
Level Contributor
674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

VP03,

We must have been typing at the same time:)

Lea

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

better advice than that is to sign up for dollar express on line and you walk right by the 75 people in line and go right down the escalator to where you get the car. ive rented a car many times and was always stubborn about signing up for the dollar express. we went to vegas about 3 weeks ago and i finally went on line and signed up for the dollar express a few months before we went. what a nice feeling seeing 50 people in line and we just walked right by and went downstars and got our car in 5 minutes. when you sign up for a car on line from them make sure you go to the city special. i paid 136.00 for 8 days and that included all the taxes. i booked it like 4 times always getting a better price as it got closer to our arrival date. also we had the full size car.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

i guess i was typing at the same time also.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

Brilliant minds think alike! lol

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
380 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

Thank you SOOO much for the Thrifty "Blue Chip" suggestion. I signed up for free, and hopefully will save some time by not standing in the regular line!

8. Re: Rental Car Advice - Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:18