We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in LAS

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
2 posts
Save Topic
car rental in LAS

Last month paid $8/day through priceline. Now looking at rentals on 2/12 & all are 4x that. I don't see any large conventions - any insight from members? Thanks, Mike T

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,172 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in LAS

What kind of insight are you looking for? Discount codes?

2/13 kicks off a holiday weekend in Las Vegas - Valentines Day and President's Day...you're probably just seeing a reaction to that. supply and demand...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in LAS

Alamo and Dollar have some $10 rates but this for weekends only.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in LAS

Like every other business nowadays- the car rental agencies are feeling the effects of the economy. I read an article that said they are losing money on the resale of their cars - a major source of revenue. Since people are not travelling as much as they did before they are not renting cars as often (not just in Vegas). The agencies have therefore cut back on the number of cars they have and raised their prices to make up for lost revenue.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in LAS

I was looking and looking and finally found better rates through Delta. There's no cost to join their SkyMiles program, then through that, look at their car rentals.

We are renting an economy car through Delta and Avis for Mon, Feb. 16 - Fri, Feb. 20 for a total of $97. It's not as good as we've seen prices in the past, but it beats the $187 that we were trying not to be stuck with.

Good luck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in LAS

$32 is still not bad for a rental car. 20 years ago it was $32/day to rent a car. I dont know of anything else that has not gone up in price in the past 20 years. The price of a car sure has.

Tn
Level Contributor
943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in LAS

Thanks so much for this information. I am a Skymiles member but had not checked the rates for car rentals thru Delta for some time. I have been really discouraged as many others have concerning the high cost of car rentals.

I needed a full size car as there are four of us going to Vegas next month and staying a Monday-Thursday. With no Saturday rental, the rates have been very high. After reading this post, I logged into my Skymiles account and found a Chev Impala or similar from AVIS (strange, eh) for $123.78 broken down it is $83.96 Base and $39.82 Taxes. Also, while you have to provide CC#, the reservation is NOT prepaid and can be cancelled...a win win!

Thanks again for the info!

Oh, BTW, I checked the rates tru Avis directly and the price was a little over $#00.00...

Tn
Level Contributor
943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in LAS

that should be $300.00....sorry!

MN
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in LAS

OK. Just named my own price on priceline for $27 for 1 day in a compact. Thanks for tips.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in LAS

I'm so glad you got a deal, SmokeyMountainMan. It is a deal if you're a part of Delta's Skymiles. Have a wonderful trip!

Surrey
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in LAS

I too have usually booked through dollar for $8 a day and freaked when I saw the prices for this coming weekend. We will be there thurs-mon and we like a car for the entire time. I ended up booking through priceline and named a price of $12 per day on a compact and got it. It is through avis so I am pretty happy about it.