We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethics question?

margaritaville
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Ethics question?

What do you do when dealer makes a mistake and pays you for something you know you shouldn't have won. It has happened to me a few times. It is usually just something small, since they tend to double and triple check larger payoffs. If you know, should you say something?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,554 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethics question?

That's not ethics, that's morals. You know what the answer is.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethics question?

I just assume he knows what he is doing because he is a professional and don't want to look like a dope correcting him....

Now if they don't pay me when I know I need to be paid - then he is a dope and I know what I am doing and I bring it to him immediately.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethics question?

Consider it payback for all the times the dealer made a mistake in the house's favor.

margaritaville
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethics question?

Irishfan- what makes it morals and not ethics? Don't both connotate right from wrong? It has happened a lot of times to me, and I always wonder if I should say something or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Usually when I don't it is because I assume I made the mistake not the dealer.

Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethics question?

I would be interested to hear what a dealer thinks. My guess is they would rather have you ignore it and move in so as not to draw attention to their error. I have in fact made eye contact with a dealer after they made a mistake and he gave me a look that basically said "let it go and enjoy the bonus". Its not like it is coming out of their pocket.

Osage City, Kansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ethics question?

I have always told the dealer if I am paid when I should not be paid. I always tell them when I was not paid.

There is no rationalization,you are either honest or not.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ethics question?

I try and send a mental text message. Just depends on what network it gets sent over . . .

margaritaville
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ethics question?

I understand the "your honest or your not" argument, but I just was wondering if it is really that simple or not.

Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ethics question?

If I catch it I say something. I like to get drunk enough where I do not catch stuff.

margaritaville
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ethics question?

still waiting on irishfan to hear difference between ethics and morals and why my use of it was not correct.