We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nascar race & Scanners

NH
Level Contributor
498 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Nascar race & Scanners

Would you recommend to buy a scanner at the races or buy it home before you go. What brand scanner do you recommend? I am surprised they allow you to take them in. Definately bring your water. If I remember correctly water was 3 or 4 dollar's a bottle!

Thanks again!

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,628 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

Scanners are pretty indispensable to many race fans, so it is indeed allowed to be brought in to the tracks. If you are indeed serious about getting one, head out to a Radio Shack or Best Buy to get a better price than @ the track. Recommended brands include Uniden and Radio Shack. Have fun!

NH
Level Contributor
498 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

Thanks Choco, my husband will get one for sure. Last year the couple in front of us had one with 2 headset plugged into one scanner.

sss
Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
608 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

I believe at most tracks you can also rent them if you are not going to use them very often. We go to several races each year and it wouldnt be the same without being able to hear the drivers talk to their teams

Timmins
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

hi

you can definately rent the scanners at the track. The price was reasonable and as far as I am concerned, add to the whole race experience. Also bring your water with you because it is very expensive.

Have fun at the race. we had a blast when we were there two years ago.

POCONOS, PA
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

I would definitely buy the scanner and some comfortable headphones before going to the track. I have a Uniden BC72XLT which is geared towards NASCAR. You can find these scanners for right around $100, approximately the price of two rentals and then you have them for future use. By buying the scanner ahead of time you can download the individual team and broadcast (radio and TV) codes and familiarize yourself with the functions of the scanner. You can find the scanner codes for free on several websites by doing a Google or other search engine search for "2009 NASCAR scanner codes". No pressure trying to program and learn the scanner at the track the day of the race. I wouldn't go to a race without them! Have a great time!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

We bought our scanners at the Michigan race a few years back. There is a trailor that sells many different kinds depending on what you want to spend. We bought the high end kind with the microphones that you can link up to 10 people together and talk. They also allow me to listen to MRN while my husband listens to the drivers "in car" chat. We spend $500 but you can get them much cheaper. That same trailer will provided you with a frequency list every year for $10. They are good for all races. I dont recommend Radio Shack or something like that. We had 2 different sets that didnt last very long before we finally bought good scanners. If you go to 5-6 races a year like we do, its worth the money.

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

Radio Shack also sells one that comes pre-programmed with all of the NASCAR channels and mrn, etc so you don't have to do it yourself!

I think it's right around $90-$100.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
454 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

I only go to 1 or 2 races per year and I usually rent the Track-Scan devices, which have the pre-programmed scanner and the TV screen. I think it is $45 or so, plus $15 for an additional headset. Great to have simple push button access to drivers, including in-car cam, and be able to see the TV broadcast, and see/do replays etc.

If I went to more races, I'd probably buy a scanner though. Make sure you get good quality, high decibel rated headsets if you buy. Do a google search and you'll find many offered online that seem to be pretty good.

9. Re: Nascar race & Scanners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 14:17