We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones in Vegas.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
211 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones in Vegas.

There's a few of us going to Vegas in May for a wedding. If our mobiles don't work, would it be easy to be some cheap ones over there, to use to keep in touch with each other for the duration of the holiday?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

My mobile worked fine back in Nov. Calls cost a fortune but you can still use your free texts.

Might be worth calling your network just before you go.

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

Net 10 phones are great they are only 10 cents a min & you can buy a phone for $30 that comes with 300 mins on it. You can buy them at their web site.

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

It's easy to buy pay-as-you-go cell phones over in the States.

South East England...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

No real reason why your phones would not work as long as you enable roaming. All of our networke in UK are partnered with US companies and therefore your phone will find its equivalent provider.

spain
Level Contributor
813 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

I want to get three of these pre paid phones when I arrive. There is a large group of us and it means we can keep in contact without spending huge roaming charges. The $90 for three phones inc call is small fry compared to what my daughter would spend on her Spanish network phone at two bucks a minute. Where is a good place to go to get them on or near the strip?

I wont have a car and will be at MGM.

Thanks in advance..

DeKalb, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

I seem to remember vending machines at the vegas airport......

London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

You need to have tri-band phones for them to work in Vegas.

Check with your service provider what sort of package you have and if you have a text bundle, if they are included. Otherwise it maybe cheaper to send a multi media picture text. I am with T-mobile and the calls to make and receive are both around 55p per minute, SMS texts are 40p where picture messages are 20p! I end up taking random pics and sending picture messages! You can also send more characters on a picture text.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

I bought a pay as you go phone last Oct from Walgreens between MGM and PH. It cost me $40 with talk time didn't even use half the minutes and I phoned UK and Italy. It was worth it.

spain
Level Contributor
813 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

Walgreens it is then... Thanks.

North East England
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phones in Vegas.

Hi KittyKim - how much credit do you get with the phone for $40? Just wondering as I would most likely to be calling the UK and this might be better than calling cards etc?