We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on tattoos

UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
advice on tattoos

Hi everyone

my husband and i are going to las vegas in july from the uk and are both wanting to get tattoos whilst we are there. does anyone know a good tattooist that doesnt charge a fortune but are of good quality. we need to arrange everything over the internet/email.

any suggestions?

thanks jacqui

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,642 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,131 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
917 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on tattoos

Try a forum search (box to upper right of page). This topic gets asked about every few weeks or so and there are lots of old threads to read. You can filter the search results by date so that the more current information is listed first.

You should ask yourself whether you really want to do this in Vegas in July when it's well over 100 degrees and you may not be able to hit the pool as a result. Some people would totally avoid tatoos whilst on vacation whatever the circumstances just in case there's some unforeseen problem. Not trying to deter you, just making you aware.... :-)

Mentioned in this post
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on tattoos

I have 4 tattoos and I love them but I would not get one in Vegas because 1. They cost more 2. Most of mine took over 2 hours and I'd hate to waste Vegas time lying in a chair getting a tattoo and 3. You have to cover them up and apply ointment constantly for the first couple of days, so no pool and no showing them off. I'd rather get one beforehand, have it heal and then show it off in Vegas. That being said, from what I understand the best deals will be at Tattoo studios off the strip, several have been mentioned in past threads like blagger said.

Mentioned in this post
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on tattoos

You could do what i did and do them yourself.

Just a needle and a bottle of Indian Ink.

Very cheap.

But if you do still want to get one done in Vegas,dont go to the Hart and Huntington store over at the Palms.

They charge a fortune.

I was quoted over $500.00 for a small b/w Welcome to Las Vegas tat a couple of years back.

They have since increased prices by loads more.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
4. Re: advice on tattoos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2009, 23:34
SoCal
Level Contributor
460 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on tattoos

My advice: before you go, look at your grandmother's skin and imagine how the tattoo you're considering would look on her.

Spend the money on something, anything, else. In a year or two or five and most certainly in 20, you'll be glad you did.

Stewart, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on tattoos

My husband and I checked out Hart & HUntinton a few years back (when they had their TV show) and it was really expensive. We then headed to the strip and found Vince Neal Ink outside O'Sheas. He got one done there, but it also was more expensive then having it done at home. I think he paid about 100 US for a small zodiac sign and it only took about twenty minutes. Prices were definitely better than the other shop but still seemed expensive, my guess was the name branding and the location, you can look at the shop online if you go to the O'Shea's website.

Mentioned in this post
O'Sheas Pub
O'Sheas Pub
398 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Boston...
Level Contributor
669 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on tattoos

Hey people, lighten up...the op didn't ask for your opinion to get a tattoo...they already want to get one..they want to know where. Other than looking at previous threads,like suggested above, keep your opinions to yourself in regards to whether or not they should get one...geesh!!

Port Coquitlam, BC
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on tattoos

A tattoo is a highly personal thing for you and the artist. You want to do your research and pic an artist that you trust and who will work with you on a design. If you really want onem get one at home from an artist that you've researched and trust, visit their shop, see examples and ask questions.

And the other posters are right -you can't soak it, it stays covered for a day and then slathered in ointment, You can't expose it to the sun and it will scab.

And besides, telling everyone you got a tatty in Vegas is about as socially acceptable as getting hitched to a stranger in Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: advice on tattoos

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 March 2009, 14:03
10. Re: advice on tattoos

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 March 2009, 14:03