We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

Anyone experince flying and being overweight? the two times i have been to vegas i have drove amd I'm flying out on monday and I never fly........ So i'm excited to be going but I'm afraid i will be humilitated at the airport and that i could be charged for a second seat. I'm flying out on US Airways and my buddy will be seating next to me and he is fairly small I did book aisle seats.....

I'm 6 270 or so will I have a problem gettimg on the plane? Anyone know if US airways has a fat policy?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,123 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

I'm trying to puzzle out how your buddy is sitting next to you but you both have aisle seats...seems like if your friend is smaller than you he would be in a middle or window seat and you, being the larger guy, would be in the aisle seat instead of risking spilling over into a stranger's seat.

Having said that, I see plenty of people heavier than 270 pds getting on airplanes with no problem...

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

Give US Airways a call. They'll give you a quicker and more accurate answer than you'll get on a forum such as this.

Once you know the facts and the policy in black and white there's no need to fear possible humiliation in advance - a ridiculous state to get yourself in. Have a great trip!

California
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

I checked online and could not find a specific policy on fat people.

What I meant was my buddy is in the middle I have the aisle seat

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,123 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

"What I meant was my buddy is in the middle I have the aisle seat"

Assuming you are good enough friends that he won't ring the flight attendant call button and complain, you really have nothing to worry about. :)

Really, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cornwall, New York
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

If the seat belt does not fit, just ask one of the attendants for a seat belt extender. They have them and give them out on the flights. No reason to be embarrassed.

Last December there was a husband and wife sitting 2 rows behind me. They both sat down and overflowed the 3 seats in the row. A poor guy showed up and had to squeeze into the seat by the window. He did not move the entire trip. (He probably couldn't) I really felt bad for him and there was not an empty seat on the plane, so he could not move. Continetal did not request these people to purchase an additional seat. They both had to be way, way over 350 lbs each.

Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

I am 6'3'' and weigh a shade over 300. Last summer I flew Allegiant and never had a problem. I had the same concerns as you although I am also a flight instructor and charter pilot, I had not flown an airline in many years and wasn't sure what their policy was (I think watching the show Airline has added to everyone's concern). I don't have a problem fitting into and buckling the belt in the smaller aircraft I fly and Allegiant and the MD-80/88 was no different. I had plenty of room and the belt reached with room to spare.

Just relax and have fun!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

Sorry but 270 isn't fat, I am 6ft and 423, now that is fat. I have flown US Airways, Delta, NWA, Frontier, Air Tran and Southwest. The only airline that has a fat policy is SWA. You must buy a second seat as they probably won't let you board. My first trip to vegas was on SWA, got out there without any issue, then as I was boarding to return I was pulled aside and told "nicely" I would not be "comfortable" on the flight and must buy a second ticket. To say I was pissed is an understatement, I got lucky and had the money, but had I not, I would have been stuck in vegas.

What you do is let the flight crew know when you board that you need a seat belt extender. You are lucky you have a friend flying next to you...the looks I get (I always select the window seat) is priceless when people see they are stuck next to me. One lady refused to board and left the airline crying. You should be fine....

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,123 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

"My first trip to vegas was on SWA, got out there without any issue, then as I was boarding to return I was pulled aside and told "nicely" I would not be "comfortable" on the flight and must buy a second ticket. To say I was pissed is an understatement, I got lucky and had the money, but had I not, I would have been stuck in vegas."

You weigh 423 pounds and were "pissed" that they made you buy a second seat??

Did you give any consideration to the people around you? Not to be mean, but really, 423 pounds is NOT going to fit in a coach seat! Even in a first class seat you're going to make someone next to you pretty miserable.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

No I was pissed at how the policy was enforced. Had I been stopped before I made my trip west then okay, but don't let me fly out without having to buy a second seat, and then blackmail on the return trip. PLUS there were some very "large" women on that flight who did not have an "empty" seat next to them. Why were they not held to the same standard?

Also, I agree it can be uncomfortable for the person next to me, but that is the airlines fault, not mine, make the seats bigger. I do my best to not "touch" the other person and not impede on their space.

California
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to vegas mon but afraid to fly cause i'm big........

I think us a large people understand why we might to pay for an extra seat we just want a standard policy to be enfoced