We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Hi

We are flying into LAX on Saturday May 9th, we dont arrive into LAX untill 9pm. We are heading to Veags for 4 nights from Sunday 10th for the start of our 8 week US road trip.

We only wanted to drive approx 1 hour out from LAX towards Vegas on the night we arrive as it will be late, long day, tired from travelling etc, etc.

We will then travel the remainder of the way to Vegas on the Sunday morning and aim to be in Vegas by lunchtime.

My question is:- Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, basic, but clean!! hotel/motel on the route to Vegas from LAX approx 1 hours drive out.

I'm hoping that some of the posters on here from California that maybe regularly drive to Vegas may be able to help me with this.

Many Thanks

europe-chick

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

I don't have a suggestion for a hotel one hour out, but rather a suggestion (or a question really)...Don't you think it might be easier to just stay at an airport hotel near LAX and get an early start the next morning? You'll be rested up a little from the travel, it will be daylight instead of dark...

I'm not sure you're really gaining much by dealing with the car rental process and driving for only one hour on Saturday night. If you grab a shuttle to a nearby hotel you can sleep for 8 hours and still be up in plenty of time to rent a car and drive to Las Vegas by lunchtime.

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

I emphatically agree with IrishFan's take. Get to an airport adjacent hotel asap, then Sunday AM do the Vegas drive. Sunday AM is the best time to go too. It's only a 5 hour drive at that time.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Thanks for that Irishfan and underpar, I hadn't actually considered an airport hotel.

Sometimes you need someone else to point out the obvious!!

Either that or I had a blonde moment!!

Will start the search now for an airport hotel instead.

Thanks again

europe-chick

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Euro-chick, one hour from LAX would probably put you in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga. There are plenty of Best Western and similar motels in this area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

I would agree with the Ontario/ Rancho Cucamonga stay. Hop on the 10 freeway out of LA and you'll run right into Rancho. From there it is just a few minutes to the 15 freeway which takes you to Vegas. Rancho Cucamonga is a decent area and you'll have numerous options as the Ontario airport is nearby.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

I also recommend you stay at an airport hotel and get a fresh start in the morning. Get a good night's sleep and leave as early as possible to avoid traffic. When driving from LA to Vegas I like to leave around 5:30 am, but that's obviously not for everybody.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Thanks for the further comments, I've booked an airport hotel now.

Got the Hilton at LAX for $56 on Hotwire - I'm more than impressed with that!

Thanks again

europe-chick

ps Would it take around 5 hours to drive to Vegas on a Sunday morning? - probably leaving around 9am

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Hi

Glad you booked an airport hotel, we did on a later arrival at LAX. We have flown into there more than once but it is still better to tackle the roads/traffic in daylight after a night's rest.

Clive

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,561 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

"ps Would it take around 5 hours to drive to Vegas on a Sunday morning? - probably leaving around 9am"

If you dont stop it will take 4-4 1/2 hours on a Sunday morning from LAX to Vegas.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from LAX to Vegas - cheap hotel approx 1 hr out

Thanks GoodBeer

europe-chick