We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

poker tournaments

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
poker tournaments

I've read that a number of poker rooms have regular tournaments throughout the week and some are low-limit. Question - roughly how many people/tables are involved in these tournaments? Also, how long do they usually last? I'm trying to plan my day a bit around possibly doing one.

Anything you can tell me about playing in one would be appreciated. I'm not quite a fish, but certainly not evolved into a full fledge mammal yet. :-)

- All In Dragon

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
804 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: poker tournaments

Anyone? Anyone? :-)

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: poker tournaments

You've been around long enough to have seen http://www.allvegaspoker.com/ as the answer to poker questions. Go there and see what they have to say about the different rooms and tourneys. Next.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: poker tournaments

I played at the Sahara this past Wednesday (11 a.m. tournament), and there were 33 initial players, with about 23 buy-ins. What this means, and I didn't realize it could be done is that after the tournament started if a player went all-in and lost, he/she could buy back in for the original amount of the tournament. Plus, I think up until the first break someone new could buy-in and start playing. But I believe after the first break that was it - no new players, and if you went all-in and busted out you were done. Hope that helps.

Oh - I also played at the 9 a.m. Stratosphere tournament on Thursday. I think we started with 3 tables (so again about 30 people). I went out really quick, and didn't even stay around.

I heard the tournaments that run later in the evening get more participants.

If I had to do it over again, or I was leaving for Vegas tomorrow would specifically find out how many chips I get for my buy-in. The more the better, as long as the buy-in isn't too much.

VegasMan is right - the web site he pointed you to has more information.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: poker tournaments

We were in Las Vegas last week & stayed at the Monte Carlo.

There's a Thursday am Texas Holdem tournament at the MC, which starts at 9.00am. It costs $40 to enter & that's it.

My husband entered. It was his first time at playing it for real, although we have played with friends at home. He felt quite comfortable with the other players. On the day that he entered, there were about 30 players & he got to the last 6, so he was very pleased. It took about an hour and a half.

I think that the Luxor also run something similar, probably others as well.