We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar vs Thrifty

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar vs Thrifty

Anyone have an opinion on these two companies? I've rented from Thrifty before and it seems like there's always something wrong with the car. Of course, this could just be any rental car company and Dollar will be no better. I pick Dollar because there prices seem to be as good as Thrifty.

I'm thinking about this for an upcoming trip to LV in Nov and LA in Dec.

Thanks.

-Drivin' Dragon

California
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

I rent via price.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

Go with Dollar. I rent rigs in Las Vegas and Reno at least 5-6 times a year and about the last 3 or 4 have been with Dollar. Their prices were some of the lowest and their vehicles (I always rent an SUV) have been nearly new Durangos (4000+/- miles) with no problems at all.

Join their "Fastlane" club at their website and you get to skip the line at the counter. I rented a couple times with Thrifty in the past in Nevada and did not like their vehicles or customer service.

dallas
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

there the same company

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

I have never used Dollar but I have used Thrifty 8 times in Vegas so far and will be in Nov again. Never any problem--check-out has always been prompt. I have always found them to have lower rates for the dates we need to rent.

We get a mid-size (Dodge Stratus) which is comfortable for the two of us and accomodates our luggage without any problem.

Our upcoming Nov trip is for 5 nights /6 days and our rate for a mid-size including all airport fees and taxes priced out at $116.38. I also have a free upgrade code (PC12re) should we decide to go with a bigger auto. The rate for the mid-size this trip was exactly the same as their compact(Neon) so it made no sense to get the smaller auto.

Good Luck! Jan

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

I have used Thrifty about 40 times in Vegas and I never had any problems with them. They always had the cheapest rates and since their cars were always reliable and their service good I don't see any reason to go switch to another company in the future.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

Someone on this forum turned me onto Thrifty, and it was a very good experience. If you join their free VIP club you can use the special check-in line.

N. Carolina
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

I used to manage a Dollar, but rented from Thrifty when I was in Vegas. Rental car companies are basically the same, only real difference is prices. If you have problems with the car, take it back. They really do want to please the customer, especially in a tourist area.

boston, MA
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

I never had a problem with Thrifty until about 4 years ago when we rented from them in Vegas. We were rear ended by a drunk driver. The insurance paid for the damage of course. But Thrifty wanted US to pay for the days the car was being repaired, and out of commission!!! This was during a slow time of the year! We will never never go back, this is no way to treat a customer.

We have since either rented from Dollar, Alamo or National (depending on the rate.) We have received good service from all three. Twice Alamo upgraded us at no charge.

N. Carolina
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar vs Thrifty

If you bought Thrifty's insurance, and this is what you're talking about covering the damage, then it would have also covered the days the car was non-rentable. If if was the other driver's insurance that paid for the damage to the Thrifty car and you had not taken out Thrifty's insurance, then according to the contract, you are responsible. Most people never read the back of these rental contracts. There are so many details the customer never knows about until a problem occurs. If you did pay for the non-rentable days, you should have the drunk driver's insurance reimburse you.