We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,529 posts
Save Topic
Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

Sorry if this has been posted, if so I missed it. An interesting article and also some interesting comments below it.

walletpop.com/blog/…

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

I've always thought many of the reviews are a joke. I tend to ignore the 5 star and 1 star reviews and just read the 2 to 4 star reviews.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

hmmmmm...maybe TRs are the only way to go. (When visiting Scotland, lol)

Watch Hill, Rhode...
Level Contributor
11,258 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

...and if anyone is lurking in the back room of TA administration, how long is this link to 'bad press' likely to stay up on this forum?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

Many of the post-comments echo my sentiment that the best part of TA is the forums, and that I either ignore or take with a cube of salt the actual reviews. That's why it was distressing in the new format that they seemed to be minimizing the forums.

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

I'm a moderator on a holiday review and discussion site in the UK.

We don't allow reviews to be posted from the country the property is in to prevent false reviews. All reviews are read and approved before they appear on the site and you wouldn't believe how often reviews are posted by people working at hotels. All with 5 stars for all the categories.

However this only works for reviews posted outwith the UK. That couldn't be done on TA as most visitors are domestic.

I agree, read between the lines and ignore the 5* and 1*.

Arizona
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

I read Hotel reviews but do not rely on just TA. I will compare other sites and if all of them are close then it gives me a good idea of the accuracy of the comments.

Just like booking a hotel I use multiple sites to get a rate, I will use mulitple sites to see what others have claimed to experience at a hotel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

"To the site's watchdogs, which include Arthur Frommer and BeatofHawaii.com, it was like an admission of guilt. "

The sites "watchdogs"??? Wouldn't a more appropriate term be the sites "competitors"? LOL, of COURSE they are not going to have anything good to say about Tripadvisor!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

There may be misinformation on the internet.

OH NO!

One website (owned by AOL), trashing a competitor, how unusual.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

If a hotel has pages of good reviews and then a really bad one with complaints never listed before, I wonder if its legitimate. Or a person posting for the first time posts a list of complaints. Trip Advisor is a way for many of us to get good information. I've never had a bad hotel experience using the hotel review section as a guide.

Trip reports are a really good way to get up-to-date info on current events.

I really appreciate having a web site like TA for my travel needs.

As with any public forum, you get the good, bad and the stupid.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,927 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Article "Is Tripadvisor.com One Big Joke?"

I've started to read the reviews. They are so entertaining!

But you have to ignore the regular hotels. It's the top-end ones that are so amusing. The reviews of Skylofts, Four Seasons, Wynn and now Encore are really funny. And they often indicate a lot more about the poster than they do about the hotel.