We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

My hubby like to peruse the pawn shops for musical instruments and other interesting items. I noticed there are a few near fremont street. We were thinking of going up to fremont for the afternoon (we are staying on the strip)

1) Could we walk to any shopsfrom fremont during the day? We were thinking we would walk there and back and then catch the light show at dusk.

2) Is it a safe for tourists? I have heard just to stay on fremont as the area off there is pretty unsafe?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

The area is not the best, once you leave Fremont. But it isn't a war zone. Let me put it this way. It's like every other area you find pawn shops in every other city.

Yes, you can walk to some of them from FSE, and you should be fine. Just remember, you're not walking through the forum shoppes on the strip.

us
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

We love pawn shops. In LV we would not walk - want a vehicle to ride in with purchases. It is obvious to anyone that you're a tourist, be aware.

Cornwall, New York
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

When I was there in early June, I walked over to the Golden Spike which is about 2 blocks off of Fremont (toward the transportation center) and I passed a pawn shop on one of the side streets. I did this in the middle of the afternoon. I don't know for sure where any of the others are..but I have a vague recollection of one down by ElCortez

I grew up in NYC, so I don't have a problem walking around Fremont area. I am careful and aware of my surroundings. Most of all I am not foolish and think nothing could happen. Anything could happen anywhere, even walking in my own neighborhood.

I have been approached by panhandlers both on the strip and DT. There are drunks and lunatics both places as well. Personally, I feel the security presence is higher on Fremont than on the strip.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

There is pawn shop chain called Super Pawn. There are several all over Vegas. We have been in a few in different parts of the city and they are larger than the ones that are close to Fremont st.

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

I've walked to some pawn shops from Fremont street. It seemed safe enough but I'm pretty brave after downing a couple shots of courage. A lot of junk in the pawn shops but maybe you'll get lucky. The musical instruments seemed to be the only items of interest.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

I usually stay downtown and I run up and down those streets in the morning. No problems whatsoever.

Of course if you are used to pawn shops then you will be used to the part of town they are in and the clientele they serve.

Its not the most luxurious part of town but you will have no problem. It will just be hot.

Portland
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

Downtown is simply not safe at all. With the recession hitting there are more and more bums and lowlifes than ever before lurking in the shadows waiting to shank someone there. Be smart, stay on the strip.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

"lurking in the shadows waiting to shank someone there."

What is that even based on? Someone has been watching too much CSI...

Can you imagine the news coverage if tourists in vegas were getting "shanked" every time they walked 2 blocks away from Fremont St?

Bismarck, ND
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

MrBig73 is the typical Nervous Nellie when it comes to downtown Las Vegas. The only thing big about him is his fear of Fremont St. & his ability to exaggerate.

Cornwall, New York
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pawn shops/fremont street during the day -safe? Far to walk?

Mr. Big, I'm a 60 yr old woman who loves DT and Fremont Street. I have never felt in danger at any time day or night DT. I grew up in NYC and I am very street savy. As long as some one is aware of their surroundings jsut as if they were at home, the person visiting DT will be fine. STOP spreading that DT is not safe, it is!!!!!