We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Okay, my first thought was no, but maybe I'll ask here for those who may have some experience.

I just received the cell phone number of a TA member from Dublin to contact while in Vegas. Lots more numbers than we have here in the U.S.

Will that call go through in Vegas, or does the Dublin, heavy drinking lovable, funny, pain in the butt bill tackler... have to get a US set of numbers?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,006 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
all over
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

When I call my colleague who has a Dublin phone number from my US phone I dial +13531 and then his phone number. +1 is to get an insternational line. 353 is the country code for Ireland and 1 is the city code for Dublin.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

LOW - All those numbers that you were given make up the country code, area code and phone number. Your call should go through fine, unless you have some restriction on your cell that prohibits international calls. I'll play Bridgy here . . . call your cell company and ask them if your plan allows international calls and what the charge might be. :) Calling from Vegas or Los Gatos, it's the same, I would think. Good luck.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Are the "lots more numbers" the country code & whatnot?

As long as you call from a phone that can make international calls, I'd think you'd be fine.

If you're planning to call from your cell, ask your service provider. If you're planning to call from your hotel, be ready for a slammer of a bill. :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

I totally read the question different...if the TA member from Dublin is in Vegas and you want to call him, it would entirely depend on their phone plan (not yours) and if it includes International.

If you're calling them in Dublin you should be fine.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Contact NiceSheffielder to see where he bought his phon and what he bought while in Vegas. That way, you won't be charged for international calls. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Oops...forgot to add...

Then FirstTimer can purchase the same thing when he gets to Vegas.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

For $40 +/- at a place like Walgreens your friend can get cheap a pay-as-you-go phone. That would save both you and him crazy International charges. He can then toss it when he's done or keep it for the next time he's in the States and add more minutes.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

I vote for walkie talkies!

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

I have friends who frequently call their family/friends in a foreign country using their cell. They just buy an international phone card at Walgreen's and use that 800 number. The cards are generally cheap. But I do agree with the others- check with both your phone company and firsttimer to make sure you both don't end up with some wicked surprises when the two of you get your phone bills!

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dialing out of US cell phones while in Vegas,

Yeah his number starts with 00358, which if I remember Reh's post, is the country.

Very good answers, thank you people.

Who said it was Firsty? lol

And thanks Bridge, I'll contact Verizon before I call him, lol.

Yes, it's MY cell phone to HIS Dublin cell phone....

Again thanks for the great info TA memebers =)