We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

The first couple of times I went to las Vegas I just stayed at motels on the strip. But eventually I spent the money to stay at a real hotel.

For me the 1st choice of hotel was easy, I stayed at Sahara. Most people where I lived chose Sahara the 1st time. Coming from Northern California we had all been to Sahara Tahoe. We knew it was a nice hotel. And Harrahs didn't have a LV hotel then, so Del Webbs Sahara was all we knew.

They also made it very easy to get credit if you were already established. And that was a lot harder in those days.

BTW: In my case we are talking the late 1970's. And while Sahara was at the end of the Strip, it was still a very nice place to stay.

So how did you choose your first hotel?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,443 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

We drove into Vegas a day early. Our plan was to stop at Barstow(sp??) and spend the night there. What?? This is Barstow? We had lunch at the McDonals "train" and left to Las Vegas. We stopped by the Tourist Center and they told us everything was "sold out" They found a room for us at the St. Remo, at a prime rate.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

Hi

First time for us was via a phone agent, before the internet was such a good and easy tool to use. We were offered Circus Circus, Monte Carlo or Mandalay Bay, within our price range. Just the name CC put us straight off! Looked at a strip map and thought the MB looked too close to the airport, so went with the MC, plus we had been to the real one so that also gave it the edge. Not too bad a choice in the end. This was when they still had the tram connecting to the Bellagio, which was nice.

Clive

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
883 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

It was a toss up between Cape Cod and LV in 2001. Decided to cancel Cape Cod and do our floors. Then I found out from a friend that my wife was very disappointed so I went to a travel agent and came back with two options for her, LV or Western Canada. Pretty obvious which she jumped on, and we stayed at the Luxor because she loved all things Egyptian. We stayed in a pyramid room on the 10th floor. Travelled two weeks after 9/11 and were nervous the whole way about flying. Checked in at 3pm, wandered around for 2 hours and decided to have a catnap before hitting the town that night. Woke up 16 hours later!!!

10 night Trip, arrived with two suitcases, left with 5. Kept winning and winning at the slots, bought whole new wardrobes at the factory outlet places and generally had a ball as I had never been to the states until that time.

Coming for our second visit this Christmas

Pete

NYC
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

My first time to Vegas, I didn't have a choice. I was 13 and my parents booked the Flamingo through their travel agent.

My first time to Vegas as an adult, 8 years later, I still didn't really have a choice. I went with 4 coworkers to a beauty convention at Mandalay Bay and the boss decided that since it was at Mandalay Bay, we should stay at Mandalay Bay. We had a 2 bedroom suite, which was really spacious.

I finally was able to make up my own mind when I went with my boyfriend for his first trip to Vegas. (His first trip was at 31, poor thing missing out all those years)I really wanted to stay at the Venetian, so we did. Ever since then we have been like lunatics going to Vegas as much as we can. We have only stayed at the Palazzo since they opened and this time we're breaking the mold and staying at the Wynn in a Salon suite.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

I also chose the Luxor based on the pyramid theme (and price). Although when we got there we were "upgraded" to a tower room, so I still haven't stayed in the pyramid.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,959 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

Cross country trip with my brother. We spend a week in the desert southwest, hiking and camping before rolling into Vegas. We had booked Caesars on someone's suggestion and had a blast.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

I read tons on this forum, as well as the hotel reviews. The Signature sounded perfect, and it was.

wash dc
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

My first visit, I stayed at Circus Circus. I was twelve. Don't remember much but I remember having a great time.

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

My first time to Vegas my friend and I were really on a tight budget and everything seemed to be a little too pricey for us on the strip and she had seen something on the Travel Channel about The Orleans. I checked out the rates and the reviews and the fact it had a shuttle to and from the strip sealed the deal. We each paid $307 for hotel and airfare for 3 nights (had separate rooms)and loved it! I actually used to win there all the time too but not so much in the last 3 years.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How did you choose your first Las Vegas hotel?

Recommendation from a friend who'd been a couple of times before and had stayed there - the Mirage.

Very nice it was too. We've not stayed there again on any subsequent trip since, but definitely intend to do so.