We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Following is my first trip report. It's a bit long, and hopefully not too boring. No partying or eating at nicer restaurants. Hope you enjoy reading it.

Alaska
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Hi, all. This is my first trip report. I typed it in Word, so hopefully the spacing won't be weird. This trip I went solo and had a great time. My report won’t include too many details of eating out. My food allergies keep my dining experiences pretty dull (to avoid reactions) while traveling solo. I brought snack foods with me from home and stocked up on milk cartons (for cereal) from Harrahs.

I was supposed to leave on Sunday, 10/11. On Thursday I was complaining about wanting to go earlier so my husband told me to change the ticket, which I happily did. I left my house on Saturday by 4:00 a.m., and my flight left early at 5:50 a.m., and I arrived into Seattle by 10:30 a.m. My flight to Vegas wasn't scheduled to leave until 2:40 p.m., so I wandered around and then ate a light lunch. The flight to Vegas was fun. The mood was lively with excited people to go to Vegas. Landed at about 4:50 p.m. and got my luggage (yes, I over packed) and was in a taxi within 15 minutes. Told the taxi driver to head to the Harrahs and to skip the tunnel. He pretended not to know what I was talking about, but didn't take the tunnel. There was some traffic but got there pretty quick. Paid the driver $18 which included tip.

The Mirage wanted $199 for the Saturday, so I booked a comped deluxe room at Harrahs. There was no line, and checked into the deluxe room in the Mardi Gras tower, on the quite side. Didn’t have a view, but I didn’t need one. The room was very small but clean and served its purpose. I tossed my stuff on the bed and was out and on my way to play the slots within 10 minutes. I gambled until 8:00 p.m. and went back to the room to change. I had a quick bite and headed over the Mirage.

I decided to see the Ray Romano and Brad Garrett show at the Terry Fator Theater this first night. I picked up my ticket and then played for a while. Around 9:00 p.m., I started to feel the fatigue of being up so early and worried that I was going to fall asleep during the show. I had some coffee and headed to the show. It started a few minutes past 10:00 p.m. Ray Romano was funny but only on stage for 20 minutes. Brad Garrett was somewhat funny but very crude. Lots of racial jokes, which also made some of the other people sitting around me uncomfortable. At the end, they came out together and answered questions and showed bloopers from the show. Overall I thought the show was good. After the show, the adrenaline kicked in and I didn’t feel tired anymore. I should have gone back to the room, but stayed and played the Wizard of Oz until 2:00 a.m. I sat next to a nice lady and we both had decent play. I should have cashed out a few times, but had fun.

I went back to Harrahs and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Around 4:00 a.m., some rowdy people started a party in the hallway. Another hotel guest went out into the hall to ask them to be quiet. They group did leave after a few minutes. I fell back asleep until about 9:00 a.m.

I got ready and checked out of Harrahs and walked over to the Mirage around 10:00 a.m. There wasn’t really a line system set up for check in. When it was my turn, a nice young lady named Jessica checked me in. I tried the $20 trick, and was upgraded to a tower room (room 25-115) but it wasn’t going to be ready until after 1:30 p.m. After checking my luggage in at the bell desk, I gambled for a while (not much luck). I had done some research on the items on the menu at the California Pizza Kitchen. I had a nice lunch there. Huge portions for the spaghetti! The waiter was very nice and went out of his way to accommodate my allergies, so he was tipped very well. I started to not feel well because I had stayed up so late the night before, so I decided to see if my room was ready.

The wait time for my room key took forever, but my room was ready when it was my turn. I was very pleased with the room, it had a pool view facing the south. I was hoping to have a chance to rest before heading to Diablos for the M&G, but by the time my luggage and the fridge (free for medical) arrived, it was time to go. I thought about taking a taxi to Diablos but then thought it was close enough to walk. Between the heat and the distance, I’d wished that I had taken a taxi. I took a few detours inside Bellagio and somewhere I can’t remember to cool off. After a while, I located NYGus, LawGirl and C. Stayed for a little while, but didn’t feel well enough to head out for more drinks. It was nice to meet you!

After the M&G, I wandered through New York New York and Monte Carlo. I did play at those places but didn’t win enough to stick around. I walked to the Paris and ordered a sandwich from JJ Boulangerie. It was different than what I had in February, but was still good. I wanted to go the Rio, so I waited for the shuttle. So was what seemed like everyone else. Two shuttles later, I was on my way. I had wanted to see the Show in the Sky, but found out that it was dark this week. Oh, well. I stayed and played for a couple of hours before heading back. The shuttle return took over 40 minutes. I gambled at Harrah’s for a while and then also at the Mirage. I had a good run so ended up staying up until 2:00 a.m., AGAIN! This is not usual for me.

Monday morning, I slept in. I ordered coffee and grapes from room service. The coffee was good and they sent up a ton of grapes. I kept the left over grapes in the fridge and had them every morning. This day I decided to go shopping after playing slots at the Mirage. I browsed around the Forum Mall for a couple of hours. I enjoyed a few slices of pizza at the California Pizza Kitchen and then returned my purchases (and left over pizza) to my room. I’d never been to Wynn before, so I went there next. After waiting 15 minutes for my turn, I finally got my red card. After playing for an hour on the Wynn Megabucks penny machine, I cashed out ahead and also had accumulated enough points for the two free buffets to use in February. After the Wynn, I shopped at the Fashion Show mall. It was so dead there! I didn’t find too many things there, but it was a good way for me not to burn through my bank roll! Common sense had me in bed by 10:30 p.m. this night. Those beds are really comfortable!

Tuesday was my last full day. I had breakfast in my room and played the Wizard of Oz for about an hour at the Mirage before taking a taxi to the Luxor to see the Titanic Exhibit. After getting my ticket (using comps), I started my experience. Within 10 minutes, an obnoxious foreign language speaking family with 3 teenagers caught up to me. The teenagers where very loud and laughing a lot. The parents were not doing anything to try to get them to be more respectful. They were ruining the mood, so I stayed behind until I couldn’t hear them anymore before continuing on. I thought the exhibit was very well done and am glad that I went. It took me an hour, which was perfect.

I gambled my way back down the strip. I wish that I had worked my way up the Mandalay Bay because I’d never been there before. I’m still wondering why I went to Excalibur. I almost got lost at MGM. That place is so big! It took me forever to find the monorail. I rode it the Harrahs and used some comps for the buffet. The food was good, and my favorite part was the cotton candy. I played slots up and down that side of the street (at Bill’s, Flamingo, Ballys, and more). I won, then lost, then won, then lost. No big wins, but enough to keep me playing the rest of the night. I packed and was asleep around 11:00 p.m.

My last morning, I ordered coffee and took my time eating breakfast and getting ready. My bags were all ready and I was off to play the slots by 9:00 a.m. I didn’t have any big wins, but enjoyed my last couple of hours of playing. At 11:00 a.m., I went to the Players Club desk and was told that my room and all room service charges would be covered. After getting my bags, I was checked out and in a taxi to the airport by 11:30 a.m. The taxi ride was about $15.00 (plus a nice tip). The trip home was very long. It took 8 ½ hours (including the 3 ½ hour layover in Seattle) to get home.

Overall, I had a fun trip. The weather was too warm for me the first couple of days (in the 80’s), but was perfect Monday through Wednesday in the 70’s. I wish that I’d had more adventurous eating experiences but it just wasn’t a good idea while traveling by myself. I noticed that the strip seemed busy, especially in the evenings. I’ve gone by myself for 5 nights/6 days, but this trip of 4 nights/5 days was just right. I’m glad that I went a day early, so I didn’t feel rushed. My husband and I are coming back in February and are staying at the Mirage. This was a good hotel, and I’m glad that I picked it for this trip. The cocktail service was good and I was sure to leave adequate tips (including bell staff, fridge delivery, etc). Thanks for reading my first trip report.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Nice trip report. Funny about Show in the Sky...it was dark when I was there in May (stayed at The Rio). This time, I was at Harrah's 10/11-10/14, and thought about taking the shuttle over to see it, but never got the energy to go. I would have missed it again anyway!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,930 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Good job for your first TR glad you enjoyedvegas thanks for sharing.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Great TR! Thanks for Sharing!

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Great TR - thanks for sharing! I love solo trips - wish my husband would tell me to go ahead and go a day early! That was sweet!

Alaska
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

I'm sure he was tired of hearing me whine about wanting to go early. I don't know why I didn't just originally book it to leave Saturday anyway.

Texas
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Great TR! I'd LOVE a solo trip.

AZ
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

Enjoyed your report - thanks for posting. I have a question - can you tell me where the WOZ machines are in the Mirage? The last few trips there this year and i could not locate them. They used to be right towards the front but no longer and when i asked i was told they were removed. I am happy to hear they are back!! Do you remember where? thanks so much.

Alaska
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

sandystx, let's see. They are in the middle somewhere. When I was there, there was a bank of Wheel of Fortune games two rows over. They were next to an aisle. Sorry I can't be more detailed than that.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: Solo Trip 10/10-10/14

skimoak, thank you for such an interesting TR. I have often thought about going to Vegas by myself and hearing responses such as yours makes it sound like a fun and relaxing time. I think I could do that.