We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental price goes up at pick-up

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gerogia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Car rental price goes up at pick-up

Has anyone rented a car that the price has changed when you pick it up. I think they are putting in extra fees after you arrive. This happened to me the last time I went to Vegas with Payless. I am afraid to rent from them or anybody that doesn't guarantee their quote. Thanks

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

I used to use Payless and some of the agents are real pushy when it comes to getting all the insurance extras. You just have to say no. Once, however, when I picked up the car and refused all the insurance, she added a Road Side Assistance fee which she said was mandatory. Never will I rent again from Payless. I have found Alamo to be the best as well as Avis if you can catch a special.

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

My rate with Dollar is always the same as my confirmation print-out. Payless is notorious for increasing the price.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,440 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

In plain English payless is the worst, there has been loads of pro and con on this company. They should Not have changed the charge.

People deserve what they get when they book with companies like this.

For everyone that says they have not had trouble as many will say they have, there great for up selling.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

Payless is uniquely bad.

That said, all the others aren't much better, and there is always the risk of being charged extra. Hertz once booked my reservation at the wrong airport at Fort Lauderdale (some tiny commuter airport instead of FLL, as I asked for). It was clearly their fault, as I didn't even know this other airport existed, and it was closed at the time I was scheduled in their system to pick up the car.

They really weren't interested in fixing it, they said "we can give you a car here but you'll have to pay the full rate" which of course was ridiculous. I walked away and rented somewhere else.

There's not much you can do other than cross your fingers when you get to the counter. If you rent from Payless, you should cross your toes too.

Gerogia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

Thanks for the info - I think I will cancel and go with Alamo - a previous poster gave a website that had a good deal.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

I have used Alamo each and every time when in Vegas. I love their quick check in and their rates are always good. You can't go wrong with them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
741 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

LEsson #1: Whether it's hotels, rental cars or airfare,know the rate you are paying and all terms and conditions. Print the confirmations and keep copies with you at all times.

With rental cars, if you reserved on-line, you would have received a confirmtion that showed ALL charges (the daily/weekly rate, taxes and fees). Most companies have "check-boxes" for the optional items like insurance, auto-fill gas, GPS, On-STar, etc... . If Payless is trying to extort add'l money out of you, then ask to speak with the manager. I would also suggest a very stern letter/e-mail to Payless corporate offices, the local airport manager and the state's Atty General (consumer affairs office)..

If you let them take advantage of you, they will also do it to the next person, and the next, ......

central Texas
Level Contributor
674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

I rent from Dollar every visit and if there is a problem (rarely), they ALWAYS make it right. I am signed up for their Dollar Express card and they already know my preferences and never ask. We go straight downstairs, pick up the paperwork that is already printed out and pick up the car.

I keep an emailed copy of my reservation info. and that is it. If there is a problem, I show them my paperwork and no problems.....

Good luck! Lea

Level Contributor
1,929 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

Another great reason to rent from Alamo (or National) is the presence of the self-service kiosks.

You check yourself in, and therefore YOU are the one to click "NO" to the extra insurance, "NO" to the prepaid gas, "NO" to the upgrade fees. No annoying clerk trying to nickel and dime you to death!

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental price goes up at pick-up

I agree with the other posters- I never had the price go up once I had made my reservation- and I have rented a car in Vegas over 70 times. Never!

Nowadays I usually use Dollor (or Thrifty). I have found they have the cheapest prices and I have never had any problems with either one of them. Join their express clubs (Dollar Express/Blue Chip) and your paperwork will be done- you don't have to discuss anything with anyone. You then go directly to the lot (Dollar -downstairs)- show you paperwork and pick out your car. Fast and easy.

No matter which car company you use- be sure to keep checking the rates after you reserve a car. The rates can go up and down. When they drop- modify your reservation. I did that at least 5 times on my last visit staring with a $168 rate and ending up with a $113 rate( everything but insurance).