We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Consierge was helpful - small gift?

Ottawa Ontario...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Consierge was helpful - small gift?

Hi, am staying at Mirage in Nov for first time, alled ahead, confirmed my reservation (booked via Expedia.ca (Canada) and wanted to be certain I was on file) lady at "front desk very helpful and didn't mind to take time to talk to me about what to expect on first trip, passed me to consierge, where very helpful and sent me some really ehlpful phamplets & information in the mail.

Would like to say thank you with small gift to let them both know I appreciated their help and felt they went out of their way to help me, what to give them? Something form Canada... key ring (a nice one) playing cards with Ottawa Senators hockey on it? Christmas tree decoration (pewter with Canadian Maple leaves on it and 2005 year? (again all are not cheesy items what do you think... any suggestions on what I should take them? Do you think they would appreciate I chose something rather than money that appears to be a last minute thing not specific to them?

Arlington TX
Level Contributor
981 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

Gifts are nice but tips are appreciated more. Why not both? A small Canada-oriented trinket plus a $20 bill each. Be sure you know who helped you and present it personally in an envelope with a nice thank you note.

kentucky
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

im starting to like the way this gratuity thing works, and have an idea, I work at a toyota plant, if i can get everyone who buys a camry to send me a $1 (or more) that would be great.

but on a serios note I'm sure that any sign of appreciation would be happily accepted.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

I would also suggest that regardless of what you give them that you also let hotel management know how happy you were with their service. That might make an even bigger impact on them than any gift &/or tip.

Ottawa Ontario...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

Good thoughts folks, thanks! I will advise Management of the service, and yes, a Canadian gift (or one that says "Canada" is a good idea ....with money as well, not in an envelope though, wrapped in a fancy box - bow and all.

We are all quick to criticize poor service, but truly, how many of us recognize and appreciate good service and pass it along to MGT?... something to think about as you go about your Tuesday.

5. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2005, 00:51
Ottawa Ontario...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

That wasn't very nice at all.

I will have you know that I have great taste, and I truly believe that the person(s) to whom I give my gifts will certainly appreciate that I thought enough of them to purchase something I thought they might like and bring it with me as an appreciation for their good service and.....with the sole intention of giving it to them. I think they will appreciate that I actually planned it ahead of time rather than reached into my pocketbopok and extracted american dollars as a last minute thought. I am ashamed of your remarks about a Canadian gift suitable for the garbage can. How rude!

To all others who offered good advice and pinters, I thank you.

7. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2005, 17:26
Level Contributor
129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

How thoughtful of you to consider a gift. I am sure it will be much appreciated! Seems like complaints are heard so much more often than appreciation.

Bless you lady from Canada and have a wonderful trip!

By the way, toyota guy...I own a Camry and they are worth lots more than a $1.00 tip!

Lainie

Virginia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

I dont know, but a Sens covered anything would offend me. In fact I'd hand it back. But then I'm a Flyers fan.

Level Contributor
2,159 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Consierge was helpful - small gift?

Geeze

Ya gotta stay on top of this forum 24/7 just to catch everything before it gets deleted!

Humanahumanahumana

Unca whoever