We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible?...

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Is it possible?...

to drive from LV to SF in 1-day? how much time will take and which will be the best route?

Thank you so much

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,628 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible?...

570 Miles......9-1/2 hours.....It's possible. I-15 to I-5 is what Google suggests.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible?...

About 9 hours according to Mapquest :)

www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Las+Vegas&1s=NV&1y=US&1l=36.174999&1g=-115.136398&1v=CITY&2c=San+Francisco&2s=CA&2y=US&2l=37.775002&2g=-122.418297&2v=CITY

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible?...

Google Maps says about 560 miles or 9.5 hours. Of course you'll want to stop to eat and rest too. There wouldn't be much interesting to see along the way unless you want to explore the Mojave Desert as you approach the Nevada border.

Flying would be easier and likely not too expensive... but a drive can be done if you're determined enough.

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible?...

Link is too long...just copy and paste in your browser or just visit mapquest and enter the cities and click on directions.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible?...

Yes it is possible, but it's going to be a very long day. It is much faster if you take HWY 5, but there isn't a lot to see. The coast is a much nicer drive, but has to be done in two days. You're probably going to hit traffic on both ends. If at all possible try and avoid arriving in the Bay Area between 4pm-7pm, the commute traffic can be brutal.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible?...

It's possible...my family and I have done the drive once back in '99...it's a looong drive, around 10 hours I think. Good luck :)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it possible?...

If i have to overnight, where do you recommend me?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,427 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it possible?...

If you were to overnight, going the most direct route and not up the coast which is the most scenic route but not most direct, Bakersfield is about half way but that isnt a very long day your first day.

Id either just drive straight thru or make it a longer trip and take the coast up and overnight somewhere like Cambria or Big Sur.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it possible?...

I-15 to I-5 is NOT the way to go.

Drive from Vegas to Victorville (I-15), then cut over to Bakersfield (I don't recall the route numbers), and you end up joining the I-5 at the Wasco-Lost Hills exit.

This is a long boring drive, but I've done it in one day.

10. Re: Is it possible?...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 06:15