We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

Essex
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

Just got some quotes for our trip in September (myself and OH for my 30th) and we can either get 7 nights at the Mirage in a standard deluxe room with direct Virgin flights for £854pp (the Renaissance was also avaliable for this price) or we can do a multi centre with 4 nights Vegas and 3 nights San Fran staying at MGM Grand in Vegas and Savoy Hotel San Fran (B&B) for less £795.

Not sure which to go for. Obviously it's personal choice but wondered if people has any views or things to consider?

We would like to do a little gambling and some shows and shopping and maybe a Grand Canyon helicopter flight whilst we are in Vegas.

Any opinions on the hotels or trip would be welcome.

Other option is to team it with New York for 3 nights which is around the same price but flights are indirect. I love New York so this would be my preference but hubby not so keen and to keep price down the hotel in New York is not as nice.

Sorry for long post.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

Well, NY hotels aren't as cheap as Vegas ones or SF ones either :) I'd say stick to the Vegas only itinerary if you could and pick Mirage as the hotel. Good Strip location and nice hotel. Skip GC heli

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,518 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

If it were me Id much rather spend less nights in Vegas and a few nights in either NYC or San Francisco.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

Staying 7 days in Las Vegas gives you the chance to see some of the great outdoors. Trips to Valley of Fire, Red Rock etc. are easy. You are also relatively close to Zion (3 hours) but I would not do as a daytrip. Death Valley NP is another option (long daytrip, also better to stay overnight) GCNP is a 5 hours drive and no heli flights to the National Park. They go to Grand Canyon West. Some call this a tourist trip, some rave about it. If you want to see the real thing go to GC National Park aka south rim or north rim.

If you have never been to San Francisco before I'd pick Las Vegas for 4 days and 3 days SF. 7 days LV would be far too loong for us, but others even stay much longer. It's all about personal preferences. NYC is a much longer flight and I would go on another trip and add Washington. etc.Just mho.

Tet

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I agree with the others who have voted for Vegas/SF- my two favorite US places. I am not familiar with that accomodation in SF- was that the only option there?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I'd do the Vegas/San Francisco trip. Having said that, whereas 3-4 days in Vegas is perfect for me a lot of overseas visitors are happy to spend up to two weeks - I think I'd be dead after that length of time in LV...... :-)

And as choco said, forget about helicopter trips to the Grand Canyon. If you want to do justice to GC wait until you have more time, drive to South 'Rim and stay overnight.

Edited: 09 January 2010, 14:55
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I love Vegas. Greatest vacation spot in the world. But with a week to spend in the US, there's no way I'd spend it all in Vegas. Take the extra days in SF or New York.

England
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I would choose the Vegas & San Francisco trip.

Been both many times.

2 great cities, 2 completely different ones too.

You'll come home after your holiday wanting to stay longer at both, but without thinking that you should have done both instead of 'just' Vegas.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

If you choose to spend all 7 nights in Las Vegas you can spend 2 days at Grand Canyon (5-6 hour drive exach way) spending a night and not rushing your visit. If you choose LV-SF you should skip Grand Canyon. You won't be able to do either LV or GC justice in that short a time.

Not familar with Savoy Hotel but I know SF as a native not a tourist. My gut feeling is to skip a B&B, SF is a city not a rural area, and book a hotel preferably near Union Square. I'm sure there is a SF forum to help on TA to help with this choice.

San Francisco is a small city, with easy to explore neighborhoods, so 3 nights is fine. Although there are many fine sights outside of SF like Napa, Sonoma, Sausalito, and the mecca of small town fine dining Yountville (look it up) which you probably won't be able to see for lack of time.

IMHO those are your two best options.

One thing though: If you feel this may be your only visit to the US you should see the Grand Canyon. It is truly one of nature's wonders.

Edited: 09 January 2010, 18:08
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I was poking around and can only find a place that used to be called Savoy Hotel and is now called Best Western California .. is it on Geary St?

Is this a package tour you are booking with limited accomodation choices? If I were sending someone to SF, I'd recommend the Chancellor Hotel as a great reasonable choice- but maybe you don't have that option. If it is now the Best Westrern on Geary, that is not a bad location and the hotel gets decent reviews.

Edited: 09 January 2010, 18:18
UK
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 nights Vegas or Multi Centre Vegas/San Fran

I'd got for LV/SF without a second thought.

Did this last year and it's worth it.