We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping - how much?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping - how much?

I'm just after some advice on tipping in the States, especially in Las Vegas but also in the small areas we're visiting in the surrounding National Parks.

In England we often only tip to restaurants and the like so I'm not familiar with all the tipping in the States and imagine in Las Vegas it's expected even more.

What % of the bill /check would you normally give at a restaurant?

What about tipping cocktail waitresses and bar staff etc?

Valet parking? Bell boy?

Any body else I should be thinking of tipping?

I'm not planning on staying at anywhere top end and I'm far from a high roller but I don't want to short-change staff who depend on tips.

Thanks

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping - how much?

the search feature is your friend. i have attached the most recent thread on the subject below but there are TONS of them

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k332278…

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,639 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping - how much?

You're kidding me right?

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping - how much?

Simple answers instead of having to read through pages of blubbering about nothing.

What % of the bill /check would you normally give at a restaurant?

-18-20% for average dinner. A really nice place, you may go 25%

What about tipping cocktail waitresses and bar staff etc?

- rule is somewhere around $1 a drink....if its 2 drinks, you could go $1 a round.

Valet parking? Bell boy?

- depending on friendliness.....you could go couple bucks for the Valet...$5 for the bell boy if you have a bag or 2. The harder they have to work, the more you would tip.

Any body else I should be thinking of tipping?

Cab Driver....couple bucks. Hotel staff for certain services....depending what you get.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping - how much?

Thanks to the 2 of you with the helpful info - the link to the other posts obviously shows that I'm not the only one asking/talking about these things!

Both bits of advice seem to be in the same ballpark so hopefully I won't be doing the usual British faux pas and be tight!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping - how much?

If you play the table games then you should tip the dealers if your on a winning streak. I play Craps so usually I'll place a pass line or don't pass line bet for them according to how I feel the table is going.

Don't go overboard on tipping though. A previous poster gave you a pretty good guideline. But I usually don't tip over 20% on a restaurant bill, 15% if the service was average, 10% at buffets since I'm serving myself and they are only getting me drinks, $1 per person if their service is lousy though.

I rarely take cabs but when I do I base it on how many people I have and how fast and safe they get me to my destination, if the fare was $20 I might tip $5 if they were fast and safe, but usually I would only tip $4. I know Las Vegas very well so I know if the cab driver is taking me for a ride. Here is a funny clip on being taken by cab drivers;

www.youtube.com/profile…

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping - how much?

Restaurant- I usually tip 20% of the check unless there were issues.

Buffet- $5/6 for two people.

CW- usually $2 per drink.

Valet parking- $3/4 when picking up the car- not dropping it off.

Bell boy- $5/6 for two suitcases.

Cab- 20% tip if I am pleased with the ride (no tunnel if I say no tunnel!. If he doesn't follow my directions- no tip.

Housekeeping staff- $4/5 a day left with a note so they know it is for them.

Shuttle drivers- $1/2.

Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping - how much?

Why tip at a Buffet when your serving yourself ?

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping - how much?

Someone is bringing you your drinks and someone is constantly removing the dirty dishes from your table.

9. Re: Tipping - how much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 08:17