We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

My Happy Place
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

Is it awkward for a person to eat solo in Las Vegas? I'm not talking about five-star snooty restaurants or anything like that, but if I were to have dinner at someplace like Mon Ami Gabi or breakfast at a nicer buffet by myslf do you think it would be uncomfortable? I'm perfectly happy with the idea of gambling alone, or wandering around shopping and sightseeing, but the eating alone thing....

Mostly I'm interested in suggestions for places located in the center strip area (staying at Barbary Coast)

LSS
Texarkana, TX
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

I have never had any problems or felt weird at all. Was there solo July and again in Oct. Look back at Trip Reports under LSS, if interested in restaurants I ate at. Enjoy!

syracuse, ny
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

Don't cripple yourself. Go eat where you want to eat. Don't worry about other people - they all have their own stories to tell. I couldn't imagine anyone even noticing you at a buffet.

As far as table service goes, you're free to people watch to your heart's content. Just remember not to stare.

Bring something to do as a back up if you start to feel awkward or bored. I'd bring pen and notepad. That way I could kill some time while waiting for food, check, etc.

I'd make a shopping list for Christmas gifts, or things that I want to do while I'm there, etc. Easy to bring and can really absorb my attention.

When I was in my early 20's I was so impatient that I had to carry a book in my pocketbook. That way if I was climbing the walls, I'd start to read.

I'd read while the gas was pumped, @ red lights, grocery line, etc. I wasn't a bookworm, I'd go out of my mind with boredom. Thankfully I outgrew that!

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

Just pick places that are moderately busy. If the place is near empty, hesitate.

Vegas probably has more solo travelars than anywhere else and it easy to feel comfortable even if alone.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

Even when you travel in groups to Vegas, you invariably end up eating a meal or two alone...freedom of scheduling and all. There are probably more solo diners there than anywhere.

If it is a conceren, stick to buffets, there is always so much movement it is tough to tell how many are at a given table anyway, and patrons are too into selecting food and stuffing their faces to care about you. And, as a plus, there is no "down time" for parties to stare as they wait between seating, ordering and getting the food.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
693 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

I have found that eating at the bar of a nice restaurant is a great way to eat alone. I usually end up having an enjoyable conversation with my meal.

I would try places like Mesa Grill.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

hannah, my wife has gone shopping alone and maybe she is paranoid, but stay near the bigger places with lots of people- she had a creep follow her around once in one of the smaller areas!

7. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2005, 14:00
Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

One of the best meals I had there was solo at the Mon Ami Gabi. But it wasn't really solo because I had a pile of Benjamin Franklins with me from a successful run at the tables.

9. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2005, 02:03
syracuse, ny
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining Suggestions For a Mom Traveling Alone

Hannah,

One more thing: After I stretch myself beyond my comfort zone, I always feel a bit more empowered. Give it a shot, it'll feel great.