We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I am carefully packing for my LV trip, leaving later today. I want everything to fit in carry on. I have read TSA says to have all meds in thier own script bottles. This takes up lots of room vs few pills for the trip mixed in one bottle.

I fly 7-8 times a year and have flown international as well. I have never been checked re: meds. Anyone ever checked? I don't want to have a hassle at TSA or slow down the process, but want to fit more in my luggage if possible....

So again anyone ever been checked for med scripts??

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

No never have been check & I put my medicine in 1 bottle as well.

Hotlando, Fl
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I always mix my meds in 2 bottles and I have yet to be checked. I think as long as the bottle has your name on it is all I think they care about.

Yankee
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I carry an Epi-Pen which looks kind of dangerous and they've never said anything. My bag does get hand inspected quite a bit more than average but that is about it.

If they find 100 Oxycontin on you, you might have some 'splainin' to do. But, a week's worth of Lipitor won't be a problem.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

No, they have never checked. I only have to take one pill a day, but I do bring Tylenol, etc. I use a 7 day pill thingy and then take some extra in one bottle. At times I do use a bottle with a label- but other times I don't even use that.

From the TSA website: tsa.gov/travelers/…4

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,857 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

You may be confusing security screening with Customs. Technically, if your pills are not a gel or liquid, TSA should not even be looking at them really. Much less inspecting them for names or anything.

That's why the TSA web site says they don't require medications be labeled.

Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

Thanks everyone.

From the website:

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

I did not know that, then why have I read to have all meds in their Rx'ed containers?

Great, more room in my luggage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I have never had them check bottled perscriptions, and like most I don't bring original bottles. I always carry my insulin with me in my carryon and have never had them ask to check it. But I do let the person checking the screen know that my syringes are in that bag just to speed things up, because they are going to see them anyway.

Arnold, MD
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I have my insulin with me as well. It was checked one time. Now I use the insulin pens, but before when I had the glass vials I would always keep them in a protected case so they didn't get broken so they weren't in a prescription container, neither were my syringes. They were protected in a similar manner. I carry a doctors notification on letterhead just in case they ask for any proof of diabetic supplies, but the time I was searched, they asked what it was and i said diabetic medical supplies and it was good enough for them..

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,857 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

"I did not know that, then why have I read to have all meds in their Rx'ed containers?"

As I said above, it may be confusion between TSA security and Customs. If you are traveling internationally it is always said to have your pills in the specific container with your name on the RX, so that you can't be accused of smuggling by Customs. (Having said that, I've never had medication checked by Customs in many trips abroad.)

"In theory", at least, you can show up with 3,000 loose pills in baggies going through security for a domestic flight and "in theory", TSA would not have any reason to question you about them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
801 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has TSA ever searched your medication?? Packing question

I always carry my insulin and syringes in my carry-on, and I've never heard word one about them. I also have sleep apnea, so I travel with a CPAP machine. TSA always runs some kind of a test on that.