We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

It is an exciting trip for us Aussies - heading over to US but would love some advice for our 4 days in Vegas with our 16 yr old son

What would you recommend for a hotel - watching the $$$ so we can fit as much in as we can but very confused as to which hotel .

Any recommendations for which trip to Grand Canyon - so many choices dont know which way to go

Appreciate any suggestions

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Yes, I'd like similar advice please. Not our first o/s trip but first time to LV. We are a couple (young 50 y/olds) who would like advice on best place to stay on the strip. Have read so many reviews I'm now very confused!!

Wants: Nice hotel, pool that is not too noisy, central position.

Also, we too are looking for the best day tour out to the Grand Canyon - helicopter or small plane rather than a long bus trip.

Thanks for any advice. I was thinking about the Venetian, but I keep reading about the strange smell...... what's that all about?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Allie, give us a few clues about what (roughly) your budget is per night. If you don't want to spend too much then avoid Friday and Saturday nights when Vegas hotel rates are 2-3 higher than midweek nights. Will your son have his own room? When is your trip? If it's going to be pool weather is a good pool area important for you?

As you're only in Vegas for 4 nights I would personally say you don't have time to take a full day out of that to see Grand Canyon. If you feel you absolutely have to do it then take a fixed wing aircraft trip to South Rim. The way better (and much cheaper for three of you) option would be to rent a car, drive to South Rim (4-5 hours from Vegas) and stay overnight. An overnight stay is the only way to really do justice to GC.

Mishella, as your needs are a little different and not really relevant to this thread's title, I suggest you ask your questions in a new thread.

Lincs UK
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Quiet pool mid strip, Ballys and thats about it.

Kid friendly hotel Excalibur never stayed but friends did and said the pool area was ok and had a few kids running around.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Hi . Thanks for the response. We arrive in Vegas 23 April and fly onto Vancouver 26 or27th April to spend a week in Banff with our older son ( unfortunately he cant put us up so more hotel $$$ up there than we would like !!)

We do HAVE to do the Canyon it is a must but I understand what your saying . Initially I would have liked to spend a night out there and then it got all to confusing so opted for a day tour - just really confused about which rim to do when its a once in a lifetime opportunity . My hubby is not all that keen on driving - first time on the wrong side !!! - and I want him to enjoy the time not stress about it .

I would like to spend around the $50-$70 per night or less but I am begining to think I might regret not spending more . Though we wont be spending a lot of time relaxing at the hotel when it is such a short stay I still dont want to stay in a dive . Our son thought Circus CIrcus sounded ok but it has a huge difference in reviews.

Thanks for taking the time

Alison

South Carolina
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Circus Circus is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. 1 it's not a very good hotel, in fact for the strip it is one of the worst. 2 the location is bad - even though it says its on the strtip it's not in a good area of the strip. Go to smartervegas.com and check the rates for Excalibur or New York New York both should meet your needs price wise. NY hotel rooms are a little smaller and may be cramped for 3 people.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

Forget about Circus Circus. It's a horrible place in a poor location.

Unfortunately two of your four nights in Vegas are Friday and Saturday which is going to make $50-70 per night virtually impossible if you want to stay somewhere really nice. Excalibur is a perfectly acceptable option and is very possibly your best bet - a standard room is currently coming in at $106 + $106 + $56 + $56 for your dates, more for its upgraded rooms. Is there no way you can switch your dates? If you could avoid the weekend you can get so much more for your budget and could very possibly have been able to stay at MGM Grand which would be a big step up from Excalibur.

Check out smartervegas but be aware that a lot of promotions don't cover weekend nights.

http://www.smartervegas.com/

South Rim is definitely the way to go if you want to see the best of Grand Canyon. The "West Rim", home of the Skywalk and where heavily marketed helicopter trips out of Vegas take you, is way inferior.

Edited: 06 February 2010, 07:18
Alberta
Level Contributor
663 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

This is off the Vegas topic. You mentioned flying to Vancouver to go to Banff? Banff is a minimum10 hour drive from Vancovuer; not an easy drive, some areas may be winter driving conditions. You are going through the Canadian Rockies. Be sure to be prepared for possible road closures due to weather conditions/mud slides at Rogers Pass if you are taking the TransCanada Highway. I haven't driven it in a couple of years, but many areas of the highway are not twinned roads. Please research this drive before taking it. If you fly into Calgary, AB then you're only an hour away from Banff.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
855 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

MGM Grand is a great place for a first trip, especially in summer with the great pools. The food court is a nice convenience, the rooms are very nice. You can drive the 1000 km round trip to Grand Canyon south rim national park in one day, the route is direct and the traffic light.

Novi, Michigan
Level Contributor
855 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

I got MGM for $55 USD per night June 20th with an emailed "unlisted" special

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: advice for our first overseas trip - vegas with a teenager

MGM unfortunately isn't going to happen for anything close to the OP's budget unless they can avoid weekend dates.