We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three nights in August

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Three nights in August

As part of our west coast trip in August we'll be staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights driving up from San Diego and then moving up to Utah to see Zion and Bryce Canyon.

Our main reason for staying in Las Vegas is to see the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam during the days but we're certainly not averse to a bit of gambling and a few drinkies by night :-)

We're a couple in our early 40s, not looking for a great pool scene (as we're unlikely to have much time to enjoy it) but would enjoy a swim and some sunshine where we wouldn't be sitting on top of people, not terribly fussy when it comes to decor or facilities as long as it's clean with plenty of hot water and quite central I'm happy. The other half is not a foodie (one of these people that eats to survive) but we do enjoy places to eat and drink with some character and atmosphere. Pricewise we're loking at something mid-range.

At the moment I'm looking at the Paris - do people think it would suit our needs?

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three nights in August

First off, Hoover Dam is doable in one day but the South Rim of the GC (the better one) is a five hour drive each way and is better done with an overnight at the Canyon.

Paris has a very good location and more than meets the basic needs that you said you wanted. Other options would be Mirage or TI. You could also check the rates for MGM which is a bit farther down the Strip but still not a bad location. I just wouldn't go as far north as Circus Circus or Stratosphere.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three nights in August

Many thanks for that especially the information on the Grand Canynon.

As we really would like to spend 3 nights in LV and our accomodation in San Diego and Utah is already arranged (I know I could unarrange but would rather not) I will now consider a flight to the Grand Canynon rather than driving as we'd planned.

Friends of our went a few years ago and had a great deal by getting a cancellation when they were our there, but I don't think I want to risk something so last minute. At least it will give me the impetus to get back on my diet if I'm getting in a helicopter and have to be weighed first :-)

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three nights in August

Paris is a lovely resort w/ a great central location. I don't think you will be disappointed. You have many restaurant choices close.

Mirage is another option...but as fab as their pool is, you need to be there by 8AM to get a seat in the summer.

MGM has a great pool, but it is a HUGE property, and is not as centrally located.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Three nights in August

Jules, you mentioned helicopters. Be aware that helicopter trips out of Vegas only go to the "West Rim" of Grand Canyon. Nice enough but way inferior to the amazing scenery that you'll find at South Rim at Grand Canyon National Park. South Rim is where you want to head in order to do justice to GC. It seems crazy to travel half way round the world and accept second best.

As damama said, overnight is the way to go at South Rim. No day trip can come close in terms of the experience it offers. If this doesn't fit into your schedule there are day trips by fixed wing aircraft.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three nights in August

Many thanks for all the help.

As we have 25 weeks (of course I'm not counting :-) ) until our trip I'm sure I'll be back with lots more questions before August.

6. Re: Three nights in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 06:17